Best place to buy replacement tool box please.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
If needed I can furnish pictures of the early E12 E24 box. The E28 box is very different and way out of the picture. The E12 and Early E24 boxes "slot" the wrenches as do the E9 boxes, while the late E24 and E28 boxes "peg" the wrenches. Red handled screw drivers appear to be in play up to approximately 1983 but there is no way to confirm this as they did seem to appear in the "M" cars past this date. But there are no definitives on this.Several of the tools fit differently as well in the late E12-E28 boxes..The E12 and early E24 boxes will not have proviso for spark plugs spark plug wire ends the valve tool or feeler gauge. Wrenches , pliers and most peripherals are the same other then the emergency tools. I have also found, what I believe to be rare, are wrenches with BMW forged into the shanks ,of which I am able to build sets around occasionally.The E12 and E24 have emergency tools for power windows and and an emergency crank for the sun roof of which I do not have any idea of whether or not will work with those on an E9. Realoem does show these kits being supplied with the late E9 cars. Comments more than welcome.

bmwsydney

Site Donor
Reaction score
The one piece box is just a tray, no upper part mounted to trunk lid, and very thick and hollow feeling, looks nothing like the earlier box.
This has confused me. The new ones available have the upper part that mounts on the trunk lid. I’ve never seen one without but happy to learn.....

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This has confused me. The new ones available have the upper part that mounts on the trunk lid. I’ve never seen one without but happy to learn.....

The one you are buying has an upper and lower half. In 74 the toolbox changed to a lower half only that mounts directly to the trunk lid with the plastic itself serving as a hinge of sorts. It’s not as fragile but doesn’t look as nice and is only available used.

Keshav posted this, it is the one piece version.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/bmw-e9-2-5-...29304dc1680aa412ce4bfccfff995f3&ul_noapp=true

bmwsydney

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok. I understand now but that is quite different to mine in design. Not just as one piece but mine has the open section on the right. I suspect that is a much earlier version as he says it’s from a 2.5 but I can’t translate the whole thing.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ok. I understand now but that is quite different to mine in design. Not just as one piece but mine has the open section on the right. I suspect that is a much earlier version as he says it’s from a 2.5 but I can’t translate the whole thing.

The 2.5CS was built in 74 and 75, same as the later 74 3.0CS. You have an earlier and much nicer box, you wouldn’t want this style anyway.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very interesting as I do not believe the screwdrivers are correct Also of interest is the small Heyco "pocket" screwdriver laying crosswise under the larger screwdrivers. I have one and it is the only other I have seen. I have a bunch of triangles, but all are labeled BMW and not Heyco

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think those may be from an early Porsche or VW kit. I have several of those. I have that small pocket screwdriver and a matching valve stem tool. I had no idea those warning triangles were E9 appropriate. i have close to a dozen of those. I know in Europe it's mandatory to carry one in a car....I think.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have several of what I believe are correct and posted a picture and description in the general conversation section for comments. If what I have is correct I will offer them for sale here.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
6BF0E4B0-CE65-441D-8F62-D833F6D45602.jpeg
Late ‘74. Sad tools. I don’t know if I’ve seen an original one without a crack around the knob. Chris is right the earlier ones are far superior.

bmwsydney

Site Donor
Reaction score
I tried to fit my new toolbox this afternoon. Should be simple. I have new panels in the boot as well but just can’t work out how to get this fitted. I’ve tried a few different ways.
I’ve posted a photo of my old setup.

Attachments

• 9D88CEE0-CC5B-495C-8BCA-3D690F1CEB6B.jpeg
    9D88CEE0-CC5B-495C-8BCA-3D690F1CEB6B.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 103