Best way to mount your phone?

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott, In the coupe I use a windshield mount with a suction cup. In my modern cars I am a fan of mounts by pro-clip (link below). On the modern cars I always get their charging mounts. What I like about them is that they are generally not permanent (no screws into the upholstery), and the mounting points are vehicle specific.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This goes in the cigar lighter socket, has a volt meter and 2 charging ports. You have to put a couple wraps of vinly electrical tape around the top section of the part that goes into the socket, above the rubber pieces and slightly onto the fat section, easy and this holds it snugly as the diameters of sockets have changed over the years.

And this short cable keeps things neat:

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
This goes in the cigar lighter socket, has a volt meter and 2 charging ports. You have to put a couple wraps of vinly electrical tape around the top section of the part that goes into the socket, above the rubber pieces and slightly onto the fat section, easy and this holds it snugly as the diameters of sockets have changed over the years.

thanks so much. Ordered

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Now that others have taken the humorous tangent, I was going to suggest a saddle.

Antar

Site Donor $
Reaction score
D.C. (originally from Northern California)

Thanks Steve, I have a similar volt meter charging port and it kept going in and out. I will try your electrical tape method.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Steve, I have a similar volt meter charging port and it kept going in and out. I will try your electrical tape method.
Same. I have a vintage map light that plugs in and works perfectly, but the voltage meter and phone charger don't work at all...will give the e-tape a try.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I was thinking about designing a mount specifically for the E9, but I wasn't sure where people would prefer it be located. I've been modelling some versions of the AC faceplate where one vent portion is converted to a phone holder; would anyone be interested in that? Unfortunately, there's not a lot of natural 'clip points' on the dash or other parts of the interior, meaning any implementation will likely need to replace an existing part. I also want to make it visible enough so it is suitable for navigation purposes.

For something a bit more simple, I use these in my cars and have never had the phone fall. I secure the metal plate to the case, rather than the phone, and I can still use wireless charging. The clip stays very secure because it is in tension with whatever you clip it to, like the AC or heater vent spars. I find it works much better than the ones you just push onto the spars.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CMV6N5Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TodB

Reaction score
I'll post a pic of the tape job later when I get to the garage
I've been using an old plastic thingy that Dunkin Donuts used for about a month to seal the sip hole on their drinks. Wedged it in with the ciggy adaptor charger to hold it in place and keep the charge going. Leaned the phone up against the AC knobs. I broke the plastic thingy last weekend so now I'll be onto the electrical tape wrap.

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott,

Sorry for the late reply but I wanted to send you a picture. I had some usless recognition gift points from my company and I got this and I really like it. Basic but works great and is not noticable. You put a thin magnet on you phone and just pop it on.

mike

Attachments

• phone holder.jpg
    phone holder.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG-6504 (1).jpg
    IMG-6504 (1).jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 48

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just bought this device.

I have the XPell window film on my windshield, so suction cups are not a good idea.
I'll know how this Carmount works on my trip to North Carolina Highlands Motoring Festival in June.
My between-the-seats console has USB ports for the iPhone cable.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here’s how I taped mine. Start just behind the rubber strips. You want the tape below the height of the rubber so it doesn’t catch the socket going in. Then just enough tape above it to make a snug seal with the socket. Twisting it as you plug it in also saves the tape.
IMG_3157.jpeg

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Unless you need to see the screen on your phone and just want to pair a phone for hands free,, the best blue tooth device for phone calls I have found after a bunch of research and some crappy cigarette lighter plug ins, is a Jabra "Touring" It pairs when you get in a car, gives 20 hours of talk time on a charge, and you can talk with it for making calls. With my I phone, I can even talk with Siri. Oh it's a visor clip on and looks great.