Big brake upgrade

de coupe

Reaction score
Hello,

This board is a great resource and I am thankful for it..

I just recently received a big brake kit from a current owner. I was wondering if any one else is running a similar product on there cars. The previous owner complained of premanture wear on the rotors and pads. I have tried to contact Jeff Ireland which did sell the product but am still waiting for a response. Any insight would be helpful. I believe that he is selling 850 rotors with brembo calipers. The rotors are slotted but not drilled and the calipers are AP Racing if this does help..

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Slotted rotors? Talk about overkill! Slotted rotors can eat your pads considerably faster than solid or drilled. You may also have to upgrade to 16" wheels to use them, as some of the BBKs won't fit with the stock wheel sizes.

shanon

Reaction score
I have heard mixed reviews regarding the big brake kits: different feel and grief about install.

Having raced/tracked a coupe a few times, my brother and I found stock calipers, slotted or drilled rotors, SS lines, and Metal Master pads will just about outbrake anything out there. Other seasoned racers & instructors who have raced/shared my brother's coupe racer, have loved the brake set up.

I have to admit though, the big brake kits sure do look bitchen!

HTH
-shanon

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have slotted rotors on my 1995 740i (UUC's big brake kit installed by previous owner of the car)

The kit consists of aftermarket calipers on each corner with slotted rotors (unique aftermarket on front, 750iL fitment on back). Both front and rear are slotted.

The kit was installed at about 55,000 miles. I bought the car with about 65,000 miles on it. It has 145,000 miles presently and I just within the last month finally did the brakes. This car is my daily driver. It sees everything except snow (that is where the F250 comes in).

So - 90,000 miles on aftermarket slotted rotors and ceramic pads...

I replaced with the same. :)

Slotted? Fine by me.

:)