Big bus wheel ?

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
I picked up a Bavaria and a sport wheel on eBay and recently covered them with Wheelskins (800-755-2128) thread / sew on leather covers. I re-painted the spokes on the sport wheel with Krylon high heat black which I feel is a pretty close match to the factory color. Using aluminum foil to mask a wheel is quicker than just tape or paper and easier to remove. My question is how do you get the center horn cap off the sport wheel ? I think the hole in the side of the hub may have something to do with it but I can’t see anything even with a flashlight. As always…. Thanks ~ John Buchtenkirch

DSC00002 (3).jpg

DSC00011 (2).jpg

DSC00014.jpg

Bwana

Reaction score
John/Dan, every time you post pictures I can't see them, even when I'm logged in. I get a blacked out area and I get an error to the effect that I don't have permission to see the pictures, please log in. But I already am. Anybody else get this?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Can you push it out from behind through the hub with a blunt object?

I can see your pics btw.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
... My question is how do you get the center horn cap off the sport wheel ? …

/QUOTE]

Nice work! Say some more about the leather and how to pick it for a specific wheel.

If the horn cap is buried into the steering wheel that Bavaria probably came from Beijing where drivers apply constant pressure to the horns. Note to self: File a patent for hands free Beijing horn, the horn is connected to the gas pedal. Do a skew for Italy where it is also connected to the brake pedal.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
John/Dan, every time you post pictures I can't see them, even when I'm logged in. I get a blacked out area and I get an error to the effect that I don't have permission to see the pictures, please log in. But I already am. Anybody else get this?
Yes, I can't see the pix on my iPhone on this thread, but that is not always the case.

johanaxelson

Reaction score
@Bwana, there is a setting in your control panel about showing pictures. It is under: Edit Options / Thread Display Options. Try that and see what happens.

@John - Mine was pretty easy to remove, there was nothing in that hole but it could be the cable to the horn that is somehow stuck.

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
... My question is how do you get the center horn cap off the sport wheel ? …

/QUOTE]

Nice work! Say some more about the leather and how to pick it for a specific wheel.

The leather used by Wheelskins feels nice and soft and with the cord (supplied in the kit) you use to stretch the cover together it actually has a better grip than factory covered steering wheels, so much so I can’t imagine anyone needing driving gloves with these covers installed on their wheel. Having said that the cord doesn’t have the fine look of the stitching on a factory wheel. These covers would not make a person happy who was looking to do a 100% on the money restoration to factory new condition, I don’t care about that at all and am very happy with them.

I called up Wheelskins in Berkeley California and I had to give them the exact overall diameter of the wheel and also the exact diameter of the thickest part of the rim. I wrapped a piece of masking tape around the rim on a finger nub / bump and marked the overlap. Then peeled the tape off and laid it out flat on a table top and measured it’s length, that is how I got the exact measurement and the covers stretched on and fit perfectly. Both wheels were the same diameter at 16 ¾” and the Bavaria wheel a 2 9/16” rim diameter. I chose to cover the original leather on the sport wheel so it had a slightly larger rim diameter at 2 11/16”. I put them on while watching TV shows and they took 5 hours each but I’m sure they could be done in less time without the TV. When you start threading the cord you have over 20 feet you have to thread thru the holes, that is what takes the time. I think the pair delivered to New York was just over $80.

UPDATE ON MY OWN PROBLEM : I tried prying the center cover off the sport wheel with 2 screwdrivers and after putting extreme pressure on the cap I’m 99% sure I’m overlooking some trick on disassembly, I really think I was right on the verge of breaking something because the Bavaria center cap came right off, no problem at nothing near the pressure I had on this one. Has anyone actually taken one of these off ? I would think they aren’t that rare, my friend one town over has the same wheel in his small block Chevy powered coupe but then again I’m only guessing on the rarity. Please help :?::?::?: ~ John Buchtenkirch
DSC00004 (3).jpg

DSC00003 (3).jpg

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
John-I think I used that hole to push the horn button off from behind.

Good news is I have one of these wheels in the basement so if you don't get an answer in the next few hours I'll take a look this evening.

Nice job on the wheel...I've often thought that sport wheel with a fat grip would make a nice compromise.

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
John-I think I used that hole to push the horn button off from behind.

Good news is I have one of these wheels in the basement so if you don't get an answer in the next few hours I'll take a look this evening.

Nice job on the wheel...I've often thought that sport wheel with a fat grip would make a nice compromise.

Thanks, that would be helpful because I’m really thinking I was on the verge of breaking something by prying any harder. The sport wheel now does feel just slightly thicker to the grip than the Bavaria wheel.

Here are some close up photos of what the cover’s seams look like if anyone is interested. Because of the way the spokes enter the rim the Bavaria seams face more forward than the sport wheel’s seam does. I think I’m going to try the Bavaria wheel first and see if it brings me back even if only for a few moments to when I had my old Bavaria back when I was in my late twenties. ~ John Buchtenkirch
DSC00002 (4).jpg

DSC00004 (4).jpg

DSC00005 (2).jpg

!!!b1 - Copy.jpg

Honolulu

Reaction score
I can't see the photos directly either, although I'm logged in and have the appropriate boxes checked in the User CP.

They will show up if I clik on them, though.

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
John-

I'll bet you were prying under the silver trim piece. That piece stays on the wheel and the black rubber section of the horn button is what pops off.

Use a sharp tool through that hole and you'll be all set.

Attachments

• bus wheel.jpg
    bus wheel.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 75

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
John-

I'll bet you were prying under the silver trim piece. That piece stays on the wheel and the black rubber section of the horn button is what pops off.

Use a sharp tool through that hole and you'll be all set.

What you’re saying is exactly it :oops::oops: ! What threw me was on the Bavaria center cushion the trim ring on the edge comes off with the cushion, opposite of the way the sport wheel is. I knew it was going to be something very simple. BIG THANKS ~ John Buchtenkirch