Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This isn’t good....20 miles S of Big Sur
0F41191C-0F96-445E-BDAE-16D7E40BB162.png
5AF3BDCD-7BF4-4257-91D7-97267055147E.png

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I guess a bridge is the solution. Wonder how fast that can be repaired? Hopefully no one injured.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
exactly what we were thinking ... if not longer. that is a really a big washout. i think Bob has the right idea, build a bridge with a controlled washout underneath it ... kind of a spillway. is that where it happened last time?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No, this is farther north and the other one was a huge landslide which buried the road and took a year. In another area they constructed a viaduct that looks like a castle to protect the roadway and span a steep slope.

jmackro

Reaction score
I guess a bridge is the solution.

Usually they excavate the inside embankment to route the road a further inland from the water. It's tough to put in a bridge as the areas where the bridge would be anchored might wash out in the next storm. There's no rock there - it's all just sand.

Last edited:

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
. There's no rock there - it's all just sand.

Hmm, building a structure on the side of a cliff that is only sand with a lot of drainage from above may not be a great 'investment'. Yes, it's a beautiful drive, but should a 'highway' really be located there?

But, it's only taxpayer money to rebuild/replace after washouts or landslides.

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hmm, building a structure on the side of a cliff that is only sand with a lot of drainage from above may not be a great 'investment'. Yes, it's a beautiful drive, but should a 'highway' really be located there?

But, it's only taxpayer money to rebuild/replace after washouts or landslides.
Speaking as a non-US tax payer, yes! It must pay its way in tourist dollars, no? I drove highway 1 about 10 years back, after flying half way round the world first. California has other draws for sure, but this road is a biggie

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I flew down to visit SFDon and my E9 a few weeks back in early December...

After seeing the car - I went down to visit family in the Monterey area for the weekend before I flew back to Seattle. I stayed with my brother (who lives across from Laguna Seca Raceway - off of HWY 68). On Saturday - we were looking for something to do - so we took a drive...
Went over towards Salinas, down River Road and took Jolon Rd and Interlake Rd between San Antonio and Naciemento Lakes to Paso Robles. Picked up lunch and then went home up HWY 1. I've driven that road often - but not too often as a passenger. :) Was an awesome day. Had our picnic lunch in a park on the coast. Not a bad view. :) :)

After lunch - we continued up 1 towards Carmel and Monterey and then took 68 back to his place

A pretty good day - I hope the road isn't out of commission too long - then again - the traffic will be WAY down - So I presume there will not be too much traffic if one wants to go down to Big Sur from the north for a day trip or such.

jmackro

Reaction score
It must pay its way in tourist dollars, no?

Exactly! The State of California extracts far more in tax revenue from tourism than the cost of a little grading. And sure, if Mr. Spock were making the decision, there wouldn't be a highway along Big Sur. Nor would e9's exist. Fortunately, not all decisions are made for strictly rational reasons (in fact, few are).