Big Sur Hwy 1

Norm!

Site Donor $
Reaction score
As a retired California City Engineer I will say that it is too soon to know the solution. I could be a bridge, rerouting into the hillside or cutting out the slide in horizonal benches and rebuilding the slope. Not having seen it in person and without geotechnical and topographic studies I won't speculate on which it will be. California did relocate a short section of Highway 1 north of Pacifica by building a tunnel. This was done after repeated slope reconstructions failed in the same spot. Tunnels may someday come to short sections of the Carmel to Cambria highway because no one is going to close it permanently and nature will not stop washing it away.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Exactly! The State of California extracts far more in tax revenue from tourism than the cost of a little grading. And sure, if Mr. Spock were making the decision, there wouldn't be a highway along Big Sur. Nor would e9's exist. Fortunately, not all decisions are made for strictly rational reasons (in fact, few are).
I was able to drive my daughter & son-in-law's brand new model 90S Tesla on the PCH here in 2016. An amazing road that in the future will live long,and prosper.

Norm!

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The attached link has an update on the status of selecting repair options. It looks like they have narrowed it to a bridge or rebuilding the slope and roadbed with a much larger culvert to accommodate future debris flows. The failure was caused when fire damaged terrain in the creek canyon above came apart in a debris flow triggered by an atmospheric river over the Big Sur coast.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The road was closed in 2012 when I was there but open in 2013 as we did the drive from Monterey to LA.
The closure was way South.