Bilstein clunking noise

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
When I first got my early E14, it had a 'clunk" when making turns. Thinking a shock had collapsed, I tore the struts down only to find a totally broken spring. New B&G springs on it now with red Koni, strut inserts and it rides great. Firm but not overly so. The strut inserts were rebuilt by a fellow in PHX who is considered the Koni guru with all internals custom made to his specs. The rears are Koni gas shocks

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
solved

Bill was right. Finally had Harold put it on the lift and take it apart. A spacer/shim at the bottom took care of things and now it rides quietly over any surface at any speed. Thanks to all for the checklist.
Hi Arde,

Was it a DIY made shim/spacer or something available on the market? (as I need this). And was also wondering where was the shim placed? Many thanks.

CTD

Reaction score
Hi Arde,

Was it a DIY made shim/spacer or something available on the market? (as I need this). And was also wondering where was the shim placed? Many thanks.
Same question here. Where was this shim placed? From you description I assume you just dropped it on the bottom of the strut?!

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
At the bottom.
Flat at the bottom side and concave on top to match the bottom of the bilstein