Bleeding Brakes - Epilogue

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think like many things car related, there are multiple ways to perform the same function and obtain acceptable results.

To keep things rolling, for my next question I'll ask "what oil should I use?" ;) . I'll withhold asking "which spark plugs are the best", and "how much ZDDP should I add" until the forum pot needs stirring again. :)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is my favorite brake fluid

4B0C3366-F930-4A9B-A963-0308F9AE7FD2.jpeg

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think like many things car related, there are multiple ways to perform the same function and obtain acceptable results.

To keep things rolling, for my next question I'll ask "what oil should I use?" ;) . I'll withhold asking "which spark plugs are the best", and "how much ZDDP should I add" until the forum pot needs stirring again. :)
Well, nice going Dick. Glad you have found the answer. But in the process you have started some of us on the road to questioning just what is real. I mean, I must admit i have seen some E9 tool kit blue cloths of dubious provenance ;), and lose sleep over what to do next. Is there someone I can call?

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I bled the brakes today. This was basically a near empty system since I replaced the hoses and rebuilt all calipers.

This might be the easiest car to bleed. One circuit using the single person process described in post #10. I bled the right rear then the left rear. I bled the right front caliper bleeder B then C then A. I bled the left front caliper bleeder A then B then C (bleeders as labeled in the manual posted by Chris in post #15). Both sequences worked fine.

I believe you'd be safe using either method. I would go by the manual in that B should be bled before C.

Phemisg

Reaction score
Excellent. A controlled experiment. I suppose if you have a firm pedal and straight braking, all is well.
I've been doing some further research on forums for models using this style caliper, and it seems to go both ways. I think more support ABC over BCA, but that may be more because of Haynes, Autobook, etc.
Taken literally, the narrative in the Blue book would support either, as long as C follows B. It is interesting that elsewhere in the Blue book, and Haynes for that matter, bolt tightening sequences are shown using numbers, so conceivably the ABC arrows were more to point out the three bleed screws rather than indicate order, assuming consistent editing.. Hard to say.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Good news, Dick Like I said, been doing it that way for years Once the borders are back open, you should come on up to the lower mainland area, lot's of old bimmers up here

Thanks, Rick
I'm looking forward to a Vancouver area "fix". It's been too long. :(