Blinker Issues

ClayW

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I just got a 1970 2500. The blinkers work, but the blinking light on the dash does not. At most, I’ll get one flash and when I engage the right turn signal, but nothing after. The stock flasher relay seems to be working.

Any ideas?

ClayW

Reaction score
My flasher relay is 6-prong.

I have done the electronic flasher relay on my 1600. Does anyone know the story on doing that to a 6-prong early E3?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’m sorry, I wasn’t clear. The relay that is available on eBay it’s $40 and its the flasher relay not the emergency flasher switch

chope97

Reaction score
Clay the first thing I would do is to clean all the contacts front and back and make sure you have good grounds also make sure you have good bulbs. the right bulbs. I just did my 73 made a big differnce I have 3 Bavaria 71, 73 and 74 parts car I have lots of spare parts too and I live in SS I took my rear light panel out and tested them in the house with a converter to make sure all the bulbs work I took the fount lights out and cleaned and adjusted the contacts Let's talk Clarence

ClayW

Reaction score
Update:

I cleaned up some contacts, regrounded the cluster, and swapped out the flasher unit with a known working one (I was wrong about thinking it was 6 vs 4 prong). Unfortunately, the problem persists.

The hazards work. The turn signals work, but the dash light does not. Blinks once when signaling right; not at all when signaling left. See the video.

Ideas?

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
The light on your dash is a ground-interrupt circuit, which is why it does the "fast blink" when a bulb is blown. I suspect that you have a weak ground under your dash.
I had something similar happen that also affected my wipers. I think the ground problem I had was between the steering column and the cluster

Dowst

Reaction score
Nice to know that this is the culprit. Mine will sometimes do what you describe after the car has been sitting a while. Perhaps the contact inside the relay unit need cleaning.

jmackro

Reaction score
Perhaps the contact inside the relay unit need cleaning.

Yes, perhaps the contacts do need cleaning. As I recall, when mine was doing this years ago, I could polish the contacts inside the flasher unit with fine sandpaper, and it would work ... for awhile. An electronic flashing unit was what really solved it. Transistors never need cleaning!