Blinkers / Flashers / Parking Lights

Tom P

Reaction score
Hi there...

I have most of my lighting sorted out and working fine with the exception of a few scenarios:

1) Key on, Headlight switch in position 1 or 2 and Turn Signal engaged = Rear ambers flash but front ambers stay lit / no flash.

2) Same as above except with Hazards engaged = same result.

3) Key off, Turn Signal Engaged = Rear parking red light stays lit / front amber stays lit (I think this is correct but not 100% sure)

NOTE: When headlights are off, the turn signals and hazards work normally front and rear.

Any ideas? Thank you!

shanon

Reaction score
Check for reversed leads on spade terminals.
Also check quality of grounds.

hth
-s

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I assume it is a US spec car.

1) Front ambers should blink brighter and then dimmer in this case I believe as the front marker is a dual filament bulb. If the bulb was replaced with single filament or the wiring modified you can have the symptom you describe.

2) same reason as 1)

3) is correct if the headlight switch is on. With headlight switch off you should see only one side or the other illuminate.

Last subtlety, check if the under hood light is on when key is off and headlights on or marker to left I believe.

Hi there...

I have most of my lighting sorted out and working fine with the exception of a few scenarios:

1) Key on, Headlight switch in position 1 or 2 and Turn Signal engaged = Rear ambers flash but front ambers stay lit / no flash.

2) Same as above except with Hazards engaged = same result.

3) Key off, Turn Signal Engaged = Rear parking red light stays lit / front amber stays lit (I think this is correct but not 100% sure)

NOTE: When headlights are off, the turn signals and hazards work normally front and rear.

Any ideas? Thank you!

Tom P

Reaction score
Yes, thanks Arde. US spec car. Confirmed bulbs are dual filament. Upon inspection, I can see one filament blinking while the other one stays bright. I need to dig deeper into the turn signal wiring to understand why the parking light filament isn't going dim/dark when signal is engaged.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I do not think the parking light filament will go dark with signal engaged, it is a separate circuit and not aware the signal is on. What may be happening is that wiring is inverted and the higher power filament was wired to the parking lights instead of the turn signal. Try swapping them at the bulb.

Tom P

Reaction score
Thanks Arde, thanks Shannon. I believe it is definitely a wiring issue. I traced it back under the dash and found a bad socket connector (still available?) and also two spliced wires at the socket. See photo - red barrel connectors and smoked socket.

What's interesting is now I don't have any blinkers working. I think I either shorted the circuit with my fiddling or I finally broke the wire at the splice.

My fuse is still good and my hazards still work so that makes me think its not a blown fuse, or my hazard relay or switch but a wire issue. Would you agree?

Thanks again for helping me solve this puzzle!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 84

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The front bulb sockets have two hot wires, one is constant on when light switch is on the other blinks, sometimes you have to switch the wires around. Just a thought, I had to jack around for a while with mine.