Blue 73 CSi on BAT

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looks familiar.

Looks also like it drove through the desert?

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks familiar.

Looks also like it drove through the desert?
The wood and the speaker delete are not my taste. The wavy wood grain is like "op art" . It will be interesting in light of recent sale prices.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I don't mind the wood; just too bad they didn't redo the instrument surround wood.

I'm more concerned with all that goop that got painted on in the engine compartment. It's probably nothing to worry about; just perplexing why you'd paint over that goop.

1973_bmw_3-0csi_1570416403a73043f9c7be530IMG_20191006_181219.jpg

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I swear every e9 looks familiar now. It's obvious to me that the car made it's way through a body shop but not a restoration shop. The body work and paint looks pretty decent, and I bet there were a few choice words used when that bid scratch happened on the trunk. The shop should've supplied a small amount of paint for the owner for just these circumstances. But, the drive train and sheet metal makes me wonder a little.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't mind the wood; just too bad they didn't redo the instrument surround wood.

I'm more concerned with all that goop that got painted on in the engine compartment. It's probably nothing to worry about; just perplexing why you'd paint over that goop.

Same coupe you commented on here:

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score

Ugh...That's why he wouldn't send me any underhood shots originally. I'll reiterate, I had a PPI done on this car by a reputable shop. It's rusted....badly. The funny thing is the siren song of the Coupe will likely snag someone from BaT for more than he was asking on CL.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ugh...That's why he wouldn't send me any underhood shots originally. I'll reiterate, I had a PPI done on this car by a reputable shop. It's rusted....badly. The funny thing is the siren song of the Coupe will likely snag someone from BaT for more than he was asking on CL.
Which is a shame, I think that is why we never hear from some new owners as well, they didn’t do their due diligence.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Which is a shame, I think that is why we never hear from some new owners as well, they didn’t do their due diligence.

Indeed. Even hardcore car guys get caught out by seemingly "nice" cars only to realize the quicksand is deep...and expensive!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

This car scares the crap out of me. I would rather buy one with the rust visible.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
This car scares the crap out of me. I would rather buy one with the rust visible.
It seems pretty obvious that the black "frosting" was applied everywhere there was a rust issue, like the center of the passenger floorboard. Using that logic, the top of the shock towers and bulkhead probably look pretty ugly underneath.

tightbox

Reaction score
Closing in 5 hours. Lets hope someone goes into this one knowing what to expect. Those floorpan replacements don't look promising either.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sold for 50k. It seems like someone was listening to the coupe siren song a little to long. I fear the buyer will get a nasty surprise when he he removes the rose tinted glasses. The shop that did the PPI for me on this car about 3 weeks ago was well versed in coupes and suggested the car is a good candidate for a tube framed race car. Rockers, rear suspension and subframe mounts were all in poor shape. He didn't get beyond the rockers to suggest I keep looking. That black frosting on the inner front fenders also looks very bad. Let's hope the new owner has the funds to restore it correctly...

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Totally agree

Tferrer and HB Chris - you did the best you could to warn potential bidders without being out of line. At least one of them acknowledged your advice. Actually there was a LOT of “stay far away” mixed in with the “golly she shure is purty.”

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tferrer and HB Chris - you did the best you could to warn potential bidders without being out of line. At least one of them acknowledged your advice. Actually there was a LOT of “stay far away” mixed in with the “golly she shure is purty.”

This is the nature of the Coupe market. Every 15 years it gets "rediscovered" and a whole new set of enthusiast buy cars thinking the horror stories are overblown... Oh well.