BMW 2002 Round Tail Lights Value

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a set of BMW 2002 tail lights brand new in the boxes that I have had for over ten years and the person I bought it from had it stored for at least another 15 years. He said he bought them in Germany and brought them over.This is the complete tail light assembly. Any idea what the pair is worth? These are genuine NOS pieces. I see used pairs selling for over $450 on Ebay but have not seen a NOS set to compare it to. If someone is interested I can take photos and forward. I haven't had a 2002 for 6 years now and it's about time I sell these.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I always check the latest on-line dealer price, Tomkinson is charging $484 for 63218454170 which is the complete assembly including the housing with connectors. If you want to sell quickly you will probably need to ask less. If they have the red center lens as on the earlier cars you might be able to get a little more.

And Max is usually not the best source as he charges full BMW list price.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just checked and the manufactured date on the tail light assemblies is July 17, 1973 on one and March 21, 1979 on the other. I almost feel like these should be display pieces rather than installed on a car. They 41 and 35 years old.Any value in the age or just same as what you can buy a new set for now?

Attachments

• photo 3 (3).jpg
    photo 3 (3).jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 216
  • photo 3 (2).jpg
    photo 3 (2).jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 674

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
roundie lights

I don't know of any real difference new versus vintage NOS...I had an NOS pair that I bought c.2000 on ebay for about $120 for the pair...when the economy tanked and the prices had uber-escalated in the $500 per range, I relented and sold to a fellow 02 friend for $550 for the two...felt sort of guilty, but he was estatic at the bargain for his restoration...and yes, I did tell him the whole truth. I have a wonderful 76 Nevada square-tail, and am now comfortable in my own skin to have it, and not still have roundie-envy...I do miss my old 69 Manila and 72 Riviera roundies tho...
If I had not sold the tail lights, I had a roundie tail clip (also gone now...) that was going to be wired with the lights as wall art...just a thought.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do the lenses come out of the round tail light?
I wonder if there is a market for replacement lenses in the '02 community?
Now that I have a source to make them...

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do the lenses come out of the round tail light?
I wonder if there is a market for replacement lenses in the '02 community?
Now that I have a source to make them...

Stan they are available new, so not much of a market for repros.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
An expert can tell the difference....about $1,200 to the right buyer....I paid I think 800 for a NOS set for my tii about 15 years ago, good luck

I don't belong to any 2002 forums any more and don't want to join just to sell an item and leave. If anyone is in the BMW 2002 scene and can spread the word that I want to sell the pair of tail lights I would appreciate it. $1,000 I think is a very fare price from the feedback I have gotten.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would be surprised if there are any 02 owners out there who would spend that kind of money. If they were interested in a correct date stamp then 79 is way too late and July 73 was about the last roundie ever built. If it had a red center then all bets are off but these don't. Tomkinson gets $968 a pair plus shipping, maybe $15. They may sell if you ask less, who knows for sure, I don't.

I can start a post on the BMW2002FAQ for you if you PM me your e-mail. Good luck.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would be surprised if there are any 02 owners out there who would spend that kind of money. If they were interested in a correct date stamp then 79 is way too late and July 73 was about the last roundie ever built. If it had a red center then all bets are off but these don't. Tomkinson gets $968 a pair plus shipping, maybe $15. They may sell if you ask less, who knows for sure, I don't.

I can start a post on the BMW2002FAQ for you if you PM me your e-mail. Good luck.

Chris,

I posted it for $1,000 based on the $1,200 value by another member in the forum. Will $800 be a fare price? If that is what is fare then I will accept $800.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score

Chris I have a pair of red center complete tail lights too but they are used. I assume these are valuable from your post? I can shoot over a couple of photos and you can give me an idea of value as I will be willing to sell those also.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow, and after all that care and expense my son can park the big bumper E24 right behind you and your perfect red round lenses...

That is why I taught my children integrity. If you bump into a parked car and there are no witnesses you still leave a note, one that at least says "Sorry".

windnsea

Reaction score
NOS 2002 Rear Tailights

My 1984 BMW NS Automobile Suggested Parts Price Lists lists:

Left Tailight @ $80.85

Right Tailight @ $87.13

... Some things do increase in value with age!!

...So glad that I have a few sets of NOS in my storage area.

...Maybe they'll pay for my descendent's collage tuition!!

ARRIC, I purchased each set for ~ $25.00 as the dealer went out of business!

Gary Hesse

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No takers so far, 02 owners are pretty cheap, at least the younger ones. The old guys like us already have nice cars and aren't interested either.

:-|