bmw advert on selfdriving cars and the infamous road girl

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
A future I gladly pass on.:rolleyes:

in the same way that you own a classic and another daily cars, i will go for a classic and an unmanned saloon that will drive me to my destination without notice of the trafic and other littlenesses

...BTW, my unmanned friend will be taught to run over that sort of spectral appearances if they dare to show up :)

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wouldn't enjoy driving in sketchy neighbourhoods if I had to stop for bad people.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think it has been said on the forum before, but if not may I be the first; a self driving car is like a self-kissing stripper. And in honor of BMW's new technology -this evening I'm driving MYSELF to the Yellow Rose! (thank you very much)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I look forward to the tech. I spend 2-3 hours in Seattle traffic M-F. A self driving car would give me over 10 hours of additional forum surfing time. :D

jmackro

Reaction score
It isn't obvious to this 70 year-old why a video of a zombie in the woods would motivate someone to buy a BMW, but then I'm not their target market. Seems weird to me, but hey, it's their money.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
It isn't obvious to this 70 year-old why a video of a zombie in the woods would motivate someone to buy a BMW, but then I'm not their target market. Seems weird to me, but hey, it's their money.

We are in the age of the DVR and streaming video. Commercials need to be humorous or smart if you want anyone to watch.

I thought it was great BTW!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Why would people crave the "ultimate driving machine" in a world where nobody is driving?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I look forward to the tech. I spend 2-3 hours in Seattle traffic M-F. A self driving car would give me over 10 hours of additional forum surfing time. :D
In the "I have said this before" category... I am also very much looking forward to this brave new world. This is not an either/or proposition. You don't have to give up anything. (except perhaps driving in the middle of the big cities in Europe and Asia - which is not much fun anyway.) There are far more situations where driving is nothing but a necessary chore to get from A to B. Commuting to work being the best example. In that case I'd be much happier comfortably sitting in the back of a rented/shared self driving thing reading or snoozing. And then when I feel like going for a real drive for the pure enjoyment of it on a day off, I'll lift the garage door and say hello to my real car.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think ultimately, you self drivers won't be compatible with the pack of computer coordinated mobility devices. Money will decide which wins out.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It is hard for me to see where self-driving leads. A bunch of people travelling in individual self-driven cars on the same highway going the same direction seems oddly more inefficient or pointless vis-a-vis public transportation than the same amount of cars on the same route being driven by people. Don't know why I have that impression. Does it contribute to sprawl? Does it increase the number of cars on the road? Once disconnected from driving, do people decide they'd just as soon use public transportation? I wonder what land use and transportation planners are doing to anticipate?

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
It is hard for me to see where self-driving leads. A bunch of people travelling in individual self-driven cars on the same highway going the same direction seems oddly more inefficient or pointless vis-a-vis public transportation than the same amount of cars on the same route being driven by people. Don't know why I have that impression. Does it contribute to sprawl? Does it increase the number of cars on the road? Once disconnected from driving, do people decide they'd just as soon use public transportation? I wonder what land use and transportation planners are doing to anticipate?

I see self driving features as a luxury option. Kind of like being chauffeured; sure, anybody can drive themselves, but to be driven to your destination in one’s own car, have your car park itself and be summoned when needed is a true luxury that I would use for most of my transportation. As was mentioned, when I feel like it, I would turn off the computers and drive myself or step into the e9 time machine to remember what the dinosaurs were like.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Self driving cars will be a reality once the computer tech is more intelligent than the idiots on the road now, so it shouldn't be long!

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I see self driving features as a luxury option. Kind of like being chauffeured; sure, anybody can drive themselves, but to be driven to your destination in one’s own car, have your car park itself and be summoned when needed is a true luxury that I would use for most of my transportation. As was mentioned, when I feel like it, I would turn off the computers and drive myself or step into the e9 time machine to remember what the dinosaurs were like.

Me, too. But I'm generally not a very good metric. Just think if/when it becomes something most people can afford and use. About 4:50 PM, everyone in my office building summons their cars to come pick them up. I'm sure that kind of thing gets worked out in different rules and laws for different areas, but raises more things I've never thought about and individual liberty issues: Do you create staging areas if you're a city transportation czar? What does a cop do if 100 cars are lined up blocking traffic? Obviously could be ticketed, but do police get an override to move your car? Only if fire or ambulance requires? Is there a general, "get out here" button the government can push to send all the self-driven cars out of a particular area? Does that extend to taking over your car on the highway and pulling it to the side if you're speeding? Does it extend to control over your speed, etc.?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Self driving cars will be a reality once the computer tech is more intelligent than the idiots on the road now, so it shouldn't be long!
Yes to the idiots. But please no to the self driving cars. They are only making the idiot drivers worse. My opinion. I guess driving will be a lost "art", like writing, spelling, sketching, and one day thinking. :eek:

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes to the idiots. But please no to the self driving cars. They are only making the idiot drivers worse. My opinion. I guess driving will be a lost "art", like writing, spelling, sketching, and one day thinking. :eek:

Just think about how it might affect architecture. You wouldn't necessarily need an adjacent parking lot or garage. You could have all green space surrounding an office building. But how do you create a path for pick up and drop off for that many cars, if they are remote?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You wouldn't necessarily need an adjacent parking lot or garage.
Or would you need a parking lot or "car storage area"? It could change the typology entirely, but not in a good way. Codes are generally in place to help protect the health, safety and welfare of the public (people). If there were a "self driving auto storage" container (let's not even call it a building), it could be shorter since no people are walking in there. Would we be able to eliminate human moving elements (elevators and stairs)? Fire protection - who cares if it burns down if there are no people in there... (I do, but just for argument sake). And then what about all that car cuing at 4:50 "pick-up" time. We might need more concrete rather than less...