bmw advert on selfdriving cars and the infamous road girl

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
It is hard for me to see where self-driving leads. A bunch of people travelling in individual self-driven cars on the same highway going the same direction seems oddly more inefficient or pointless vis-a-vis public transportation than the same amount of cars on the same route being driven by people. Don't know why I have that impression. Does it contribute to sprawl? Does it increase the number of cars on the road? Once disconnected from driving, do people decide they'd just as soon use public transportation? I wonder what land use and transportation planners are doing to anticipate?

agree, but not the conventional way, you will share route with others but you will enter and leave door to door

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Or would you need a parking lot or "car storage area"? It could change the typology entirely, but not in a good way. Codes are generally in place to help protect the health, safety and welfare of the public (people). If there were a "self driving auto storage" container (let's not even call it a building), it could be shorter since no people are walking in there. Would we be able to eliminate human moving elements (elevators and stairs)? Fire protection - who cares if it burns down if there are no people in there... (I do, but just for argument sake). And then what about all that car cuing at 4:50 "pick-up" time. We might need more concrete rather than less...

In short, just like happens now. Everyone leaves at roughly the same time, so there will be a wait for your car to get to you for your pick-up during rush hour or other high traffic times. But, all of this will be easily tracked via communication through your phone or watch which will show when your car is expected to meet you, just like with Uber now.

I think the larger implication is that less and less people will want the ‘hassle’ of owning their own car when the proliferation of self-driving cars makes owning a car in most urban areas expensive and unnecessary. This is progress ultimately. It will lead to less pollution, less crowding, and more money and time saved. As long as the robot overlords allow me to drive my coupe I’m ok with self-driving cars.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In short, just like happens now. Everyone leaves at roughly the same time, so there will be a wait for your car to get to you for your pick-up during rush hour or other high traffic times. But, all of this will be easily tracked via communication through your phone or watch which will show when your car is expected to meet you, just like with Uber now.

I think the larger implication is that less and less people will want the ‘hassle’ of owning their own car when the proliferation of self-driving cars makes owning a car in most urban areas expensive and unnecessary. This is progress ultimately. It will lead to less pollution, less crowding, and more money and time saved. As long as the robot overlords allow me to drive my coupe I’m ok with self-driving cars.
Footnote to this fascinating discussion. If I was condemned to "drive" a self driving car and had to go to the center of a city like LA everyday, here's what I would do to save the prohibitive cost of a parking lot/garage. Fill the tank or charge the car the night before. When I arrive at work, tell the car to drive to a free parking space somewhere(surely WAZE will know of one} turn off. Pick me up at the office at the appointed time. "Drive" me home. Done!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
No, no, no. I'm sure that if you like your car, you'll be able to keep your car. ;)

Yes, you can keep your car. But once self driving cars hit a critical mass on the roads, nobody will be driving. We will all be following in conga lines behind the self driving cars. In congested urban areas (say, in and around DC), I estimate that once 15% of the cars are driving themselves, we will all be following them.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I do a lot of driving in rural Ontario winter and summer, often late at night. The 07 Subaru Forester that is my daily is the best car I have ever had for knowing I will reach my destination as it seems to not care if the roads are plowed. I know a self driving system would tell me it is unsafe to drive when I like to drive. I think after a few years the self driving car would probably question why I like to go some place so often, or that it is forbidden to stop in this spot to urinate. I don't want to be one of those self driving guys who just throws the Depends out the window.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Okay, I just showed my wife the video at the beginning of this thread. My intent was to share the entertainment value of the commercial, not really the content of the message. But when we got to the end of the clip (which is further than I had watched earlier) and the message "Sheer Driving Pleasure" came up, she yelled out. And I quote: "Sheer driving pleasure? How can a f'ing self driving car be sheer driving pleasure?". I love my wife!!!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sorry to keep polluting this thread... My lovely wife and I were out for dinner tonight, and there was a news story on the TV about autonomous/self driving semi-trucks. She started off with a comment about how real, human truck drivers must have a concern over this. Then I reminded her that I shared her comment about the "Sheer Driving Pleasure" message. She looked at me and said "it's like that Rush song, Red Barchetta - real cars will be a forbidden pleasure". As I said, I love my wife!!!

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
The “Ultimate Self-driving Machine” ?

“The ultimate passenger machine”

There is a time and place for this. Think of it as a return to the days when the well heeled had chauffeurs. If I lived in Manhattan this would be great because I wouldn’t have to search for parking. When shopping/dinning out I’d just stick it in the circle the block till i recall it.

At the track I could send it out to fetch lunch from a restaurant or a spare part from the local NAPA store.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fwiw, I recently spent several hours in a car with self driving capability for well marked highways (no not a Tesla, but. European car with roughly similar capabilities).

It was really nice because we spent the time discussing other important things (work stuff). We got a lot of stuff done yet arrived less tired than if we had driven (most of the time it was raining and traffic congestion was moderate). Yes we could have used public transport but that would’ve been much slower with multiple transfers. We could have used a hired car, but the one I used several days later was noisy (a tire had a bad belt), not super clean, and the driver was a bit of a maniac in the road.

I’ll always have old cars and pride myself on driving skills, but for everyday stuff I’m ready for this new technology.