BMW Classis Parts that don't fit HELP

Mario L.

Reaction score
Friends,

As many of you know we are actively restoring CS Coupes and other vintage BMW's. We spend a huge amount of money on parts with BMW NA / BMW AG and of late have experienced lots of problems with the quality and fitment of the new parts from BMW. This includes everything from c-pillar cloisene roundels to aluminum trim, body parts and now windshields.... and the list goes on. Lord help us if this problem moves to mechanical parts and engine components!

To us this effects everything from completion dates to the ultimate quality of our final product, never mind the lost labor time and costs, and frustration!

I intend to raise this topic with some connections within BMW NA and with some other folks in Germany. It has become a major problem and IMO is totally unacceptable! I have no idea if there is even a possibility for an open dialog, but without trying one can't be successful.

The BMW classic cars are finally appreciating in value and at the same time BMW's parts are getting worse. As such we can also be greatfull that BMW AG continues to support the classic cars unlike other manufacturers who forget about them.

I'd like some help from those willing . . .
Please send me off list emails directly with precise information as to which parts you've received that don't fit, are less than acceptable quality, or totally incorrect. I need you to please include your full name and contact information. All of this information will be kept confidential, not for public consumption, and may be shared with BMW NA or BMW AG.

My direct email for this is: [email protected]

Please, I ask that this thread not be turned into a bash BMW thread . . we need to work with them to correct these matters.

thank you!!
Mario L.

VSR1.com

Jean Luc

Reaction score
Salut perso je ne commende pas chez http://www.wallothnesch.com et peux chez chez Bmw Classic car la qualité est plus que médiocre , pour tout ce qui est joint je commende chez http://www.comptoir-carrosserie.fr/profils-glaces-parebrise-xsl-161.html , ce que Bmw propose ou Wallothesch est fabriqué aux Indes .........

Hi I personally do not and can http://www.wallothnesch.com commende at home in Classic Bmw because the quality is mediocre, for all that I joined in commende http://www.comptoir-carrosserie.fr / windshield-wipers-xsl-161.html profiles that BMW offers or Wallothesch is manufactured in India .........

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Mario, kudos for taking this on...

My background is/was in product generation for computers/printers/networking products. Having parts manufactured really doesn't have anything to do with where they're made, its all about qualifying the vendors that can produce the products to your standards. First you have to have a vendor that can use your file/data type(s), give them good documentation to work with and give them a way to check their work... form, fit and function.

The question of the day.... how does BMW check the parts? They're obviously not testing the production yield by fitting the parts on a coupe. GD&T? Taking the manufacturers word?

The last part of this process is getting customer feedback. Most large companies have a system in place to filter the customer data back to the correct groups within the company so they can make adjustments to their products or services.

Good luck Mario! Let us know how all this work at BMW. :cool:

Dan

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Mario,

Just finished restoration Christmas 2013/14

The biggest problem part that I came across was the windscreen, This was purchased new through a local BMW dealer here in New Zealand, The shape and fit was completely wrong, the biggest issue was that the curved sections on each side of the windscreen did not curve around towards the A pillar enough, We ended up reusing the existing screen.
And to really put the boot in the dealer would not take the screen back as it, quote-- "cant be the screen that's wrong, it's a brand new part from BMW" :(

Belt line trim- For most part was fine, but we did have to reshape the front nose section quite a bit to get this to fit, I figured this problem could very easily be the cause of a 40 year old car not being the correct shape, accident damage etc and not the part itself, But ???

Recently received a new stainless steel trim (trim goes inside the car over the carpet edge and door rubber at the bottom of the door opening) Haven't fitted this yet as it has a deep scratch/mark from the press or folder during manufacture, I was so disappointed with it I have just chucked it in the corner at this stage, I guess I will have to take it to a polisher to see if it can be fixed

And if I want to get really fussy, the roundels on the C pillar- These have not been "cleaned up" before they have been anodized and have casting dags on them.

Steve Battersby

Email [email protected]

New Zealand

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mario, I am sure you have noted the difference in the New/repro tool kit and original. And the New/repro Elephant Skin for the trunk is smoother, thinner, visually different and needs to be custom fit to replace the old.
The story above about the windscreen is classic dealer stonewalling. Although there are certainly individuals at BMW Classic or whatever it calls itself, I doubt that corporate that calls the shots cares a hoot.
Thanks for initiating this and I would be more than happy if you passed on my comments, without the criticism, or write myself.
Steve

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mario has asked for specifics to his e-mail account with contact info, I am sure this will make it easier for him to gather everyone's inputs. And he's not looking for feedback on Walloth, just BMW.

Jean Luc

Reaction score
Mario has asked for specifics to his e-mail account with contact info, I am sure this will make it easier for him to gather everyone's inputs. And he's not looking for feedback on Walloth, just BMW.

C'est exactement les même pièces en faite de qualité médiocre
This is exactly the same parts made ​​of poor quality

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OJ's glove was pretty expensive and did not fit.
It happens.

The only way corporate will react is when Stan starts making part that fit for the entire E9 catalog.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Then the legal eagles will swoop down with cease and desist orders and threats of lawsuits, etc.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Then the legal eagles will swoop down with cease and desist orders and threats of lawsuits, etc.

No danger, Johny Cochran passed away I think.

Patents expire after 19 or 20 years, Stan is making parts for a 42 year old car.

No fear, let them come and I will be back to back with Legs Akimbo protecting the operation.

Jean Luc

Reaction score
Je crois que le fabriquant est commun a Walloth et Bmw et quelques autres
I think the manufacturer is common to Walloth and Bmw and a few others

Gernstetter

Reaction score
Je crois que le fabriquant est commun a Walloth et Bmw et quelques autres
I think the manufacturer is common to Walloth and Bmw and a few others

speaking of parts......has anyone ordered a windscreen (windshield) from Walloth? BMW wants about $550 bucks over here and Walloth is much less, just wanted to know before I order from Walloth....and by the way, BMW dealers HAVE to take back parts that don't fit, it is a corporate rule, from what I have heard.

Gernstetter

Reaction score
speaking of parts......has anyone ordered a windscreen (windshield) from Walloth? BMW wants about $550 bucks over here and Walloth is much less, just wanted to know before I order from Walloth....and by the way, BMW dealers HAVE to take back parts that don't fit, it is a corporate rule, from what I have heard.

If a authorized BMW dealer does not take a part back, ask for the phone number and contact information of the regional officer for the dealer, they will solve your problem as far as getting your money back.......works every time.....

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mario:

Carl Nelson at CNPR (La Jolla Independent) has been telling people for well over a decade about fit problems with (most?) windshield suppliers. His insight is worth seeking, and paying for.

hans3

Site Donor
Reaction score
E-mail sent. OEM BMW exhaust downpipes were not bent correctly to allow proper center muffler fit for a 1970 2800 CS.