BMW E9 Windshield - Free w/catch!

Tom P

Reaction score
** OEM BMW E9 Windshield **

Free! Available in Greater SF Bay Area only.

Brand new, never used. Available for pick up in Walnut Creek, CA or for delivery within SF Bay Area within reason - service charge applies (sandwich, chips and a coke, + good E9 conversation).

Question: Is it the glass, the car, or the technician?

The catch: This glass could not be installed into 2 coupes by three or four trained technicians on separate attempts. Will it fit your coupe?

Terms: No returns allowed!

m73

Reaction score
Nice gesture

Tom,

I'm not in the market.....but that deserves a :razz: plus on of those Facebook thumbs up which we don't have.

I hope the right coupe gets it....literally!

MF

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
** OEM BMW E9 Windshield **

The catch: This glass could not be installed into 2 coupes by three or four trained technicians on separate attempts. Will it fit your coupe?

Tom,

I was at Carl Nelson's shop a few months ago and we had a discussion about windshield fitment issues. He has had issues with installing new and old glass on to coupes but blames it on the car. He says the issue is most prominent on cars that have big motors and cars that have been involved in accidents. The big motor theory is that guys like to get on and off the throttle hard causing a heaving effect on the chassis, the nose in particular. This causes the tunnel to start buckling which causes to the nose to slightly point downward. The pulling effect causes the A-pillars to distort thus causing the shape of the window opening to change. He showed me a coupe that was on the lift that had the buckling. It all made sense after the explanation.

By the way, this is a very nice offering.

Mike

Last edited:

Tom P

Reaction score
Thanks Mike...

Interesting thoughts. I guess a call out goes to owners who have original coupes with original motors and have been light on the throttle - if that's you, this glass is for you! All kidding aside, my car was all original at time of the window swap. Original 2.8L motor, never hit in the front and not a heavy foot behind the wheel from what I can tell so I have no idea what's going on. To add to the confusion, my replacement, aftermarket glass dropped right into place...

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'll buy you lunch!
I'm in maui working on Carl's coupe and on Josh's coupe.
Back tues late.
My shop is in alameda so we might work out a little Free back to you.
Sfdon

Tom P

Reaction score
Done deal! Thanks Don.

I'll have to warn you though, my lunch conversation with you could include actual words and make reference to: Triple, Weber, jets, emulsion tubes and chokes. If you prefer, we can carve out anything falling into the "naturally aspirated" category from our discussion and if you agree, I'd like to request the same for the "injected" category.

Discussion points of interest for me would be: improved braking feel, flasher/blinker relays and proper window adjustment. Looking forward to the possible "Free" back to me part of our meeting...

Enjoy Maui...

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
Had the same problem with my brand new OEM screen ( made in Turkey by the way), 2 x windscreen guys with over 45 years exp between them and there was no way that screen was ever going to fit the car, I ended up putting it in the skip at work and put the old screen back in

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
With these saggy cars - presumably the old front windscreen was in place when the body became distorted over time, so if the old screen came out at that point then why won't a new screen simply go straight back in?

georgebriggs

Reaction score
Broke mine just a few days ago...

Too bad I'm on the other side of the continent. I could have really used that!

To be specific, my friend broke the windshield, which I almost broke him in return.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Too bad I'm on the other side of the continent. I could have really used that!

To be specific, my friend broke the windshield, which I almost broke him in return.

The front windshields are pretty easy to come by. The rear glass is not so easy. I watched your most video. My advice (that I need to follow myself) is to start treating your disassembly like an archaeological dig

ChristopherL

Reaction score
We have had to return 6 windshields back to BMW over the past 18 months.
The newest batch of E9 windshields being sold by BMW were produced incorrectly.

The curve of the glass at the corners is wrong, essentially making the glass "too flat" and causes the glass to pop the seal.

It is, in most instances if using a new production run BMW OE glass, not an issue of the car - it is BMW's poor QC on the new reproduction parts.

-Chris

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I once returned 5 calipers in a row. The last time I was pissed. Really pissed.
I went to the counter and explained heatingly how BMW was stealing money from my family.
He nodded at me, picked up the intercom and said " Bob- I got a restock"
They had sold me the same set of faulty calipers 5 times.
I put hidden marks now on returned items.