BMW Jerrycan?

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Quick question. Was this type of jerrycan ever part of the BMW extra option list for our E9's of is this a later invention?

Many thanks in advance.

Jerrycan o.jpg

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Nope this was for cars and was made to fit nicely under the spare tyre. Only thing I'm not sure about is when it was first introduced.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Only available in Europe I believe from October of 1983 until July of 1991.
Only on the e23.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A178B85B-96A6-4068-94B5-318CCB094110.png
And currently available on eBay for 75 euros.

lloyd

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Quick question. Was this type of jerrycan ever part of the BMW extra option list for our E9's of is this a later invention?

Many thanks in advance.

View attachment 60981

As others have noted, BMW may not have directly marketed a reserve gas tank for the E9, but that does not mean they were not available from other sources.

https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/tank-capacity.11060/#post-71608

The need for extra fuel created the need for an extra fuel container. And this "need" predated the E9. Specifically regarding the container that fit within a spare wheel rim, I distinctly recall in the early '70s, a Mercedes 190sl owner that used one - to fill the outboard motor fitted to his canoe. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to picture the same can in another German car.

iu
222127189359_1.jpg

dbower

Reaction score
FWIW, I have one that fits perfectly in my OEM spare. There were different sizes available. I never put gas in it, obviously.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FWIW, I have one that fits perfectly in my OEM spare. There were different sizes available. I never put gas in it, obviously.
Instead of IMHO or FWIW or GLWTA or WTF I offer a new one: WWTT Not that hard to figure out, eh? Especially in light of the object under discussion.