BMW Motorsport Founder Jochen Neerpasch Drives 3.0 CSL On the Transfagarasan

Alice Couper

Site Donor $
Reaction score
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...ives-30-csl-on-the-transfagarasan-138023.html

If it weren’t for that Top Gear special episode with and about Romania, few people outside the Eastern European country would’ve found out about the wonderful road known as the Transfagarasan. For those who forgot about the mountain road crossing the Carpathian Mountains, BMW of Romania got Jochen Neerpasch there behind the wheel of a 3.0 CSL.

43 photos
BMW Motorsport Founder Jochen Neerpasch Drives 3.0 CSL On the Transfagarasan BMW Motorsport Founder Jochen Neerpasch Drives 3.0 CSL On the Transfagarasan / Mihai Barbu; Radu Tuţă BMW Motorsport Founder Jochen Neerpasch Drives 3.0 CSL On the Transfagarasan / Mihai Barbu; Radu Tuţă BMW Motorsport Founder Jochen Neerpasch Drives 3.0 CSL On the Transfagarasan / Mihai Barbu; Radu Tuţă BMW Motorsport Founder Jochen Neerpasch Drives 3.0 CSL On the Transfagarasan / Mihai Barbu; Radu Tuţă BMW Motorsport Founder Jochen Neerpasch Drives 3.0 CSL On the Transfagarasan / Mihai Barbu; Radu Tuţă BMW Motorsport Founder Jochen Neerpasch Drives 3.0 CSL On the Transfagarasan / Mihai Barbu; Radu Tuţă BMW Motorsport Founder Jochen Neerpasch Drives 3.0 CSL On the Transfagarasan / Mihai Barbu; Radu Tuţă BMW Motorsport Founder Jochen Neerpasch Drives 3.0 CSL On the Transfagarasan / Mihai Barbu; Radu Tuţă

First and foremost, the car is a perfect replica of the original Batmobile, built upon an E9 donor vehicle. Outfitted with a 3.4-liter engine, the 3.0 CSL has more than 300 horsepower to offer from the M30 straight-six boasting a cast-iron block, aluminum head, and SOHC valvetrain.

Neerpasch has also tested the M5, M5 Competition, M2, and Z4 M40i on the second-highest paved road in Romania, but the 3.0 CSL is the one he’d take for a Sunday drive. The reason is simple given this man’s experience in professional racing and go-faster BMWs.

Born in 1939, the former racing driver started out with Borgward in the 1960s. Jochen leveled up to a Porsche 907 to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1964, then won the 24 Hours of Daytona in 1968. His biggest break came in the 1970s when he took Hans-Joachim “Strietzel” Stuck to BMW to found the motorsports division and engineering company.

BMW Motorsport GmbH came out with the 3.0 CSL under the leadership of Neerpasch, introduced in 1972 as a homologation special. No more than 1,265 were built, and CSL stands for coupe, sport, and leichtbau for lightweight. Probably the finest M there’s ever been, the Batmobile also happens to be one of the most visceral to drive on public roads.

BMW of Romania mentions that Jochen didn’t drive a competition-ready 3.0 CSL in more than 40 years, making the Transfagarasan experience all the more memorable for the 80-year-old legend. On that note, all there’s left to do now is to press play, take in the man’s story, and enjoy the ride!

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
thanks for the link... but a bit dramaticed… as if he didn't drove a 300+ hp car in 40 years... hhahaha

A well set race car E9 with a good 300HP must have been so much more easy to drive "fast" than a oem modern M5 with 500 HP... dubbel that quick o_O :D

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A shame... yes... really a shame to see people like J. Neerpasch playing this kind of poor game

View attachment 77912

The car isn't a CSL, just a poor replica and he ( the father of the CSL ) accepts to play this poor, dirty, tasteless game.

Same thing with HJ Stuck : A couple of months ago he was invited ( and accepted with pleasure ) to play same kind
of game in a very poor, pimp my ride and tasteless German pseudo Classic car magazine, driving a very poor and sad
3.0 CSL replica.

I really felt sad for him ... and I feel sad for J. Neerpasch too ...

What did happen to these people, what brought them that down, why did they regress to accept playing this kind
of game ?!

They were icons but seem ready to accept any background role to prove they still exist ... What a tragedy.
A shame... yes... really a shame to see people like J. Neerpasch playing this kind of poor game

View attachment 77912

The car isn't a CSL, just a poor replica and he ( the father of the CSL ) accepts to play this poor, dirty, tasteless game.

Same thing with HJ Stuck : A couple of months ago he was invited ( and accepted with pleasure ) to play same kind
of game in a very poor, pimp my ride and tasteless German pseudo Classic car magazine, driving a very poor and sad
3.0 CSL replica.

What did happen to these people, what brought them that down, why did they regress to accept playing this kind
of game ?!

They were icons but seem ready to accept any background role to prove they still exist ... What a tragedy.
Yannick, the answer, in my view(I avoid the IMHO phrase lacking in said humility) is found in your words, "...ready to accept any background role to prove they still exist."

And so we see really famous, I mean world famous, actors and actresses, politicians, CEOs who have become celebrities, and others begging for roles in Grade B movies, shilling insurance and colas, doing humiliating embarrassing things to get their aging selves out there. When your addiction is applause and "recognition" you have to get your fix somewhere. And most do NOT need the money.

There lies the tragedy.

Steve

PS: I do think a couple of your words were a little harsh. But honestly, I have used harsher in a couple of posts too.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

View attachment 77912

3.0 CSL replica.

of game ?!

@Yannick,

I have the deepest respect for you and your extensive BMW & CSL knowledge. I rely on your forum contributions regularly. Your B2S in an inspiration for me.

I must respectfully disagree with your opinion on the video and the man. I think that the video is a great way to introduce the next generation of enthusiasts to BMW motorsport history, and the CSL. The article was very clear and very expedient when highlighting that the car is a replica. Obviously not an “exact replica” but when has an automotive article ever satisfied the expert reader. I can’t speculate why an original wasn’t provided. I could assume that neither a private owner or BMW Classic wanted an 80yo man driving a priceless and irreplaceable machine at high altitude on a road with steep grades and switchbacks. The gentlemen mentioned have done their time and advanced motorsport in the process. I find no fault in their desire to continue the PR, or the desire to earn supplemental income while having fun in the process.

I’m sure that part of my response to the video is biased by my opinion of tribute CSL’s. I see no evidence to support that the large number of tribute CSL’s tarnish the brand or have a negative impact on the market. Rather the contrary IMO. If a 19yo attends a racing event and hears the rumble and views the profile of a highly modified tribute, he or she may be more inclined to learn more. A collector (or racer) may start with a tribute car, but that doesn’t prevent them from moving their way into a car with real provenance. You likely have the answer to that scenario, and whether it happens.

Tribute cars have their place whether it is to inspire the owner, pay homage to the originals, or simply to allow someone the opportunity to experience a machine that they otherwise wouldn’t be able to. What I do take exception to VIN fraud, deceptive sellers, and overall fakes. That is a different ball of wax, and I have a difficult time finding sympathy with buyers who don’t perform their due diligence. Part of “paying to play” is spending the time to do your homework, or finding a trusted advisor to do it for you.

That it for me on CSL’s and Neerpasch. Back to collecting parts for my CSL tribute with a 2800 CS badge. :)

@CSteve - I also don’t fault aging actors for doing denture cream commercials in Japan. Acting is their job and their passion, and not all passion projects pay the bills or secure their estate. You happened to have worked in a profession that rewards tenure both financially and in the form of job/retirement security. Sadly most industries see aging professionals in a different light. I don’t have to worry about forced retirement like many of the folks in this board may. I can’t imagine working in an industry where my looks, posture, and physical abilities dictated my income. If that was the case I would already be unemployed. :D

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Yannick,

I have the deepest respect for you and your extensive BMW & CSL knowledge. I rely on your forum contributions regularly. Your B2S in an inspiration for me.

I must respectfully disagree with your opinion on the video and the man. I think that the video is a great way to introduce the next generation of enthusiasts to BMW motorsport history, and the CSL. The article was very clear and very expedient when highlighting that the car is a replica. Obviously not an “exact replica” but when has an automotive article ever satisfied the expert reader. I can’t speculate why an original wasn’t provided. I could assume that neither a private owner or BMW Classic wanted an 80yo man driving a priceless and irreplaceable machine at high altitude on a road with steep grades and switchbacks. The gentlemen mentioned have done their time and advanced motorsport in the process. I find no fault in their desire to continue the PR, or the desire to earn supplemental income while having fun in the process.

I’m sure that part of my response to the video is biased by my opinion of tribute CSL’s. I see no evidence to support that the large number of tribute CSL’s tarnish the brand or have a negative impact on the market. Rather the contrary IMO. If a 19yo attends a racing event and hears the rumble and views the profile of a highly modified tribute, he or she may be more inclined to learn more. A collector (or racer) may start with a tribute car, but that doesn’t prevent them from moving their way into a car with real provenance. You likely have the answer to that scenario, and whether it happens.

Tribute cars have their place whether it is to inspire the owner, pay homage to the originals, or simply to allow someone the opportunity to experience a machine that they otherwise wouldn’t be able to. What I do take exception to VIN fraud, deceptive sellers, and overall fakes. That is a different ball of wax, and I have a difficult time finding sympathy with buyers who don’t perform their due diligence. Part of “paying to play” is spending the time to do your homework, or finding a trusted advisor to do it for you.

That it for me on CSL’s and Neerpasch. Back to collecting parts for my CSL tribute with a 2800 CS badge. :)

@CSteve - I also don’t fault aging actors for doing denture cream commercials in Japan. Acting is their job and their passion, and not all passion projects pay the bills or secure their estate. You happened to have worked in a profession that rewards tenure both financially and in the form of job/retirement security. Sadly most industries see aging professionals in a different light. I don’t have to worry about forced retirement like many of the folks in this board may. I can’t imagine working in an industry where my looks, posture, and physical abilities dictated my income. If that was the case I would already be unemployed. :D
Markos, can't wait to see the finished product: a 2800CS/CSL Tribute. All will be revealed. About the thespians versus where I find myself today. Yes, I was a college professor for 48 years. The job came with tenure that gave me the job/retirement security you speak of. I loved my job, although it was not really a "job" for me, and I often said, "I envy me." And I did!

I should have been clearer. I was certainly not referring to the overwhelming number of talented actors and actresses who find themselves unemployed or under employed in a profession where youth and looks are valued above all else. Where a tiny percentage of their peers earn obscene amounts of money, and they earn a pittance during their all too brief career. And sadly, that low earning potential and no job security has spread like a cancer to the entire economy. If one is a contract employee their job security, if you can even call it that, lasts as long as their contract. I have family and friends and they have family and friends who are contract employees. I especially like the term "At Will" employees. And many At Will employees don't even realize they are in that precarious position. And then there is the ageism and sexism and racism.

But don't get me started.

Again, I should have been clear, and I apologize.

Steve

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
No worries at all @CSteve. I love the back and forth.

Don’t hold your breath for my project. I’m a lot of things but fast is not one of them.