Bonnet 'stay' advice

pmallinson

Reaction score
Hello

When I got my car the bonnet holding bar at the front had been removed and the PO just had a old prop from another BMW which he positioned to hold the bonnet up.

I located a old original item that was in need of rust removal and painting etc , great I thought and its now fitted.

However it will allow the bonnet to go too far up and hence the bonnet stay mechanism goes 'over centre' if thats the right terminology for the brackets going past their 'straight position

Hence they then start to fold the wrong way so if the bonnet was dropped they would damage it from the inside :sad:

Do any of you now what should stop them doing this and have a picture of the stop which I'm sure should be there on the folding hinge somewhere ??

pmallinson

Reaction score

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
+1

under the bmw reference part you will receive all needed parts for 140 euro

061220124593.jpg

i think that you should read the threads more calmly, it is almost everything there ;-)

Honolulu

Reaction score
I don't recall mine going over center, but it is sensitive to the position of the body side bolt. That fitting need to far forward enough to support the hood, but too far and it may damage the body when folded down.
At best, DO NOT rely on it in a breeze, you will gat a lump on the back of the head to educate you.
I have a bit of wood dowel under the hood as a fail safe bar.

pmallinson

Reaction score
I don't recall mine going over center, but it is sensitive to the position of the body side bolt. That fitting need to far forward enough to support the hood, but too far and it may damage the body when folded down.
At best, DO NOT rely on it in a breeze, you will gat a lump on the back of the head to educate you.
I have a bit of wood dowel under the hood as a fail safe bar.

Thanks a lot for that I will check as the torsion bar seems to have plenty of 'strength' in it but does allow the levers to 'turn inside out and then would fold back the opposite way ! maybe its just and adjustment thing ?