Bonnet strut spring weak

mattie4859

Reaction score
After my engine fire and near complete restoration, I've found that the fire must have weakened the tensile strength of the spring (or whatever it is that provides tension) which is located inside the tube attached across the under side of the bonnet as part of the bonnet support strut mechanism. Any ideas where I can either get a new one of somehow fix what I have?

Honolulu

Reaction score
hints

the "tension" of the hood support is dependent on the position of the lower end. Take a close look, the nut/bolt sit in a slot rather than a circular hole. You can adjust, somewhat, the hood support force by sliding the nut/bolt assembly forward or back... looking at it and a moment's thought about the forces involved, will get you to realize which way it goes. Then adjust.

Caution: at the end of travel in the extreme position forward, the "elbow" of the hood supports on either side may touch the inner fender. I would cushion the touch point, slack the nut enough to move, then close the hood and see how things end up... then tweak from there. There isn't much adjustment available, but enough to make a good bit of difference.

In the end, a coupe hood is heavy (ever have it come down on you while you've got your head in the engine bay?). I would never think the hood was adequately propped if there was any kind of breeze. I can get quite a breeze past my garage, so I have an assortment of wooden ex-broomsticks handy next to the toolbox. And I use 'em.

mattie4859

Reaction score
Well, we'd replaced the blocks at the end and done all the adjustments possible, so we knew it wasn't any of that. We suspected the fire (and time too, no doubt) had weakened the torsion springs, so new ones from Jaymic just went in and the bonnet stays up perfectly, no problem...