book recommendation

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi All, Chris O recommended a book in a thread below and it looked interesting so I ordered one- Since my company distributes books I thought if anyone else was interested they could PM me and I can sell them at $10.00 less than Amazon, of course shipping would be $3.75 additional in the US. so the total would be $27.79 delivered. Not making anything on this, just throwin' it out there.

Description:
As a service to the classic car enthusiast VelocePress, in close cooperation with Brooklands Books Ltd., has brought this and other repair manuals previously published as part of the Autobook - Autopress Owners Workshop Manual Series back into print. This series of manuals is an invaluable resource for the classic car enthusiast and a - must have - for owners interested in performing their own maintenance. These manuals include detailed repair & service data and comprehensive step-by-step instructions and illustrations on dismantling, overhauling, and re-assembly. Typically they contain individual chapters that deal with the following items: Engine, Carburetor & Fuel System, Ignition System, Cooling System, Clutch, Transmission, Drive Shaft, Rear Axle & Rear Suspension, Front Suspension & Hubs, Steering Gear, Braking System, Electrical Equipment and Bodywork. There are many time saving hints and tips included and there is an easy to follow fault diagnosis at the end of each chapter. All of the manuals in this series include a detailed index and feature an oil resistant laminated cover.

Attachments

• book.jpg
    book.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:

Bwana

Reaction score
Sounds like fun, can I order one?

Whoops, reading comprehension is a wonderful thing. PM sent

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Perfect! I ordered in 5 for now but I can get more- we have 60 left in the Tenn. warehouse. I will wait for a few days if that's OK and then fill the orders. I also ordered one for myself yesterday so it will come in first and I can do a little review. Regarding foreign shipments, I would be happy to send for the same price plus international shipping but if you are overseas you might try Amazon because the cost of freight would be more than the $10.00 savings I can provide. If however they are unavailable overseas let me know and I'll send them. The ISBN is 978-1588501639 which may help those in foreign lands locate it on their "local" Amazon. Y'all can pay by check or credit card, I tend to shy away from pay-pal but I can include payment information with the shipment.

This looks like a really good book and I'll provide more information once I give it a quick going-through.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No offense but my loyalty is to DQ's how to posts. Books can only be better than DQ placed behind the wheels when jacking up the car. How thick is this book? :).

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Revised edition ?

I bought the book in 1979 and it was the 2nd edition. (1st -1977).
Do you know whether this edition has been revised and if pix have replaced drawings ?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All I can say is that the cover is different as I have not been in the office for a couple of days to pick up the book. I have a series of operations I need to do on the polaris coupe, including adjusting the valves and re-positioning the distributor and cleaning and adjusting the carbs and since it has been a while since I have done any of these operations I will be a good test-monkey. I will post some shots, trying not to violate copyright, and then those who ordered the book will have theirs as well so we can get a consensus as to weather the book is "invaluable". My experience with the standard Haynes manuals is that they are not thorough enough and don't provide the best pictures or descriptions, I never know if they're referring to the e3 or e9 or something in-between.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That small screen shot of the cover makes it look like a Picasso painting a foot and half from the screen.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey Peter -- thanks for picking up on my recommendation.

I would speculate that not much has been updated in the newer editions of the book; so if I had an older one, I am not sure I would spring for a new one.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
ah, you noticed how I stole that from you:) I guess if it's worth stealing, it's worth keeping. PS how did the newer style oil filter work?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just had a chance to take a quick look through the book. I like that all the illustrations are hand drawn and not the fuzzy black and white pictures that come with most manuals. The instructions are clear and simple so I'm going to consider it a good purchase. I should be shipping the other copies out this week, hope everyone agrees.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The hand drawings are beautiful, put me down for one.
Or do I need one per wheel?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have 3 left so if anyone wants one please send me a PM with your address. I will mail the book out with an invoice and you can mail me back a check. Or you can mail back the book if you don't like it :)