Boot? Trunk Panel Gap - problem

Marc-M

Reaction score
If you are gapping your trunk/ boot lid – please do not make the same mistake I did.

When I was gapping trunk lid – I put in place the new seals and got a great fit….
However – its has now gone for paint and my painter has set it up again and put the torsion bars on and connected them all up.
So now when you close the lid – its has changed the shape of the lid! and some re work is required…
It is an Aluminium trunk lid – so I’m not so sure it would do the same with metal…

So – if you are at the stage of putting the rear wings and rear valance on – ensure the trunk lid has its torsion bars fitted with new seals and you should not be far wrong....

Hope it helps someone.

Marc

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Marc, I am in midst of getting my alloy boot-lid repainted and adding a ducktail spoiler at the moment.

Do you mean your body shop bent your alloy boot-lid because the alloy metal is more flimsy and that's why it's gapped now?

I also didn't actually know the torsion bars have seals? Do you have a picture of what the seals look like?

My boot-lid fitted perfectly before, so hope it goes back on without gaps. :(

IMG_5217.JPG

Marc-M

Reaction score
Hi

When i did my gaps for the boot lid ( now i have to say when i say panel gaps - i mean the shut lines) , i put on the new seals - they are a U shape seal...

Fitted boot lid on hinges - then put the wings on and the rear valance - put on the new seal- held them all in place - messed around to get good even gaps ( shut lines)....
welded up - and hey preso - fantastic gaps......

THEN

Went off to my painters and he put on the boot lid torsion bars and attached the links to the inner wheel arch......

Now the Boot lid shut lines / panel gaps were all over the place.............

The torsion bars ( on mine - and its a Alli boot lid) changed the shape of the boot lid - now it must be said - not so much - but it did not give even gaps.....
So he has had to do a bit of cutting and shunting to get them perfect.......

Regards

Marc

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Marc,
Why not use a prop rod as many Csl’s have other than you intend to install a took box?

Keshav

Marc-M

Reaction score
Thanks Marc, I am in midst of getting my alloy boot-lid repainted and adding a ducktail spoiler at the moment.

Do you mean your body shop bent your alloy boot-lid because the alloy metal is more flimsy and that's why it's gapped now?

I also didn't actually know the torsion bars have seals? Do you have a picture of what the seals look like?

My boot-lid fitted perfectly before, so hope it goes back on without gaps. :(

View attachment 100044
Hi Marc,
Why not use a prop rod as many Csl’s have other than you intend to install a took box?

Keshav

That is how it came from the factory - its a city pack CSL..... trying to keep it as factory as possible....

Regards

marc

Rob F

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Marc. Done a trial fit of my boot lid and torsion bar today and the alloy boot lid does seem to distort with the torsion bars fitted. They must be the some ones Used on the steel boot lids and have to much tension for the alloy lids.
I modified mine to remove some of the pre tension, now the lids fits much better without any distortion.
Rob