Brake booster alternative/swap and new velocity stacks

LarE9

Site Donor
Reaction score
Another alternative to stock or tii brake booster. I mentioned in my previous/first post that I wanted to possibly do something with the stock brake booster.
So I mentioned this to a friend/local BMW/German car shop owner, and he happened to have a booster from a 911 lying around that he had pulled from a car that they were doing some race prep on. He gave it to me, so I went for it. It is made by ATE, has the same 77mm bracket mounts and standard MC mount as the stock E9. See pics. The 911 booster has the clevis pin connected directly to the booster, so I had a friend fabricate a piece that fit perfectly into the clevis end and threaded on the other end to fit into the stock E9 rod that comes out of the rod (the piece was made from a grade 8 bolt, etc.). Not the most fun job, but I got it installed and adjusted, and it fit great. However, I felt some play in the pedal, you could feel where the booster rod would have to travel about a cm or so before coming into contact with the MC. After some research, I learned for the first time that there is a shim of sorts that is on the end of the rod in the booster, looks like a bullet that has a pin that slides into the rod. So pulled the one off the stock booster with pliers and it fit right onto the 911 booster rod tip (I did not know enough to notice the hole at the end of the push rod in the booster). It made all the difference, and now the brakes feel like they did with the stock booster. However, as we all know, smaller (single diaphragm) diameter booster equals less "free pressure", therefore more manual pressure needed to achieve the same overall braking pressure as the stock booster. That being said, it is not as bad as I initially feared, they feel good and can still lock up the brakes if needed. So cashing in on the objective of this exercise, I purchased velocity stacks for my Webers from a company N. Hollywood called Corsa Velocita. They swivel to allow better clearance options, they come with filters that snap over the end, and they are nicely made too. Due to the shape and size of these, it is still a close fit however. I am sure some of the other options out there would clear everything with room to spare. These things amplify the great sound of the carbs too, they are trumpet shaped after all! So far so good....
IMG_2140.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2143.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

IMG_9495.jpg

_MG_9498.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2141.jpg
    IMG_2141.jpg
    623.5 KB · Views: 186

LarE9

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like you need a new upper radiator hose?
Good catch and funny you should bring that up...I was just in the process of ordering one! While we are on the hose subject, would you happen to know which hose/part number for the smaller diameter hose that comes out of the firewall from the heater? This would be the one that tees into the hose that comes down from the reservoir and returning to the radiator. Can't seem to figure out which hose that is on realoem. Tried the 6-series but not sure. The hose configuration I have now sticks out a little too far before it turns down to go under the carbs and kind of touches them. I have a temp solution at the moment, which uses a hose from the 635i that runs under the carbs (after the tee) and up to the thermostat housing. Thanks!

andyleonard

Site Donor
Reaction score
Lovely solution for the Webers/Booster issue. Problem is the smaller Porsche booster is just as hard to find as a Tii booster. Does anyone have a crossover to something we can get? I heard there was a Volvo diesel booster that worked. I guess there's always the hydroboost off the 745, but...