brake conversion

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks, it's what I thought. Modern BMW's only have a single circuit so obviously confidence in brake parts has increased.

Has anyone used the Willwood brake bias valve in place of the original?

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/item/wwvalve.html

Rek - these function differently. The valves in our cars are actually pressure release valves. When they sense a certain level of pressure in the system, they limit the rear brake pressure to ensure that when braking very hard more pressure is applied to the front brakes reducing the likelihood of locking up the rears first, which makes the car more difficult to control. The IE stuff reduces the rear pressure all the time, even under moderate braking.

Rek

Reaction score
Rek - these function differently. The valves in our cars are actually pressure release valves. When they sense a certain level of pressure in the system, they limit the rear brake pressure to ensure that when braking very hard more pressure is applied to the front brakes reducing the likelihood of locking up the rears first, which makes the car more difficult to control. The IE stuff reduces the rear pressure all the time, even under moderate braking.

Ok thanks. So ours are pressure 'balance' valves rather than just restrictors. I prefer the concept of balance over restriction.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i would not say that…. i have the bias valve in the rally car and removed the oem balance valve . Than you can dial in the max braking , so just not blocking the rear wheels before the fronts. Ideal you must search 2 dial in positions , dry and wet.
I assume , with the oem balance valve , the rear brakes are not used to full potential , but is of course on the safe side.

Now , for a street car the bias valve is overkill.... more for a track car , they can play with settings depending the used tires , temperature etc... and have to brake a thousand times the same line , the same corner.... on perfect tarmac. On the street the conditions always vary , so my bias valve setting will be even safe as the oem one i suppose …. so little to no use.