Brake Fluid Warning Light Question

ColomboMotors

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to purchase the Brake Reservoir Strainer and Float Part #34321103065? I have noticed for a while now even after refreshing my entire braking system that the Brake Fluid Warning Light under the UPM Gauge goes on and off intermittently. I have learned after reading the forums that this occurs because of either the contact wires being dirty, or the float not working properly - I removed the strainer and saw the float bobbing up and down, the rubber grommet sunken at the bottom and not connected to the center pin, and the entire float filled with brake fluid once removing it from the reservoir. Is this really a no longer available part? Or where can I source one or repair this one? Thanks to all in forum by the way, as I have learned a great deal over the years about E9's and how to fix them!

ColomboMotors

Reaction score
This is the cap and float that triggers the warning light. No strainer on this part. I used it on an e3 a few years ago and it worked fine.
Thanks for the link - I was hoping to use the original cap - I guess there is no other way to go about this?

Available for under 20 bucks..
Thanks - is there no way to use the original style cap at all then? I was hoping to do that, but if not I will have to buy the new style.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks for the link - I was hoping to use the original cap - I guess there is no other way to go about this?

Thanks - is there no way to use the original style cap at all then? I was hoping to do that, but if not I will have to buy the new style.
I think that’s correct. I later switched back to the “black” cap and screen/float when I found a good used one.
Don would know better than me.

sfdon

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

sfdon

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pull the back of the boot remove the wire from spring contact to make sure it is not paring brake switch

BikeRider

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to purchase the Brake Reservoir Strainer and Float Part #34321103065? I have noticed for a while now even after refreshing my entire braking system that the Brake Fluid Warning Light under the UPM Gauge goes on and off intermittently. I have learned after reading the forums that this occurs because of either the contact wires being dirty, or the float not working properly - I removed the strainer and saw the float bobbing up and down, the rubber grommet sunken at the bottom and not connected to the center pin, and the entire float filled with brake fluid once removing it from the reservoir. Is this really a no longer available part? Or where can I source one or repair this one? Thanks to all in forum by the way, as I have learned a great deal over the years about E9's and how to fix them!
what timing of your post! that light just started to do the same thing just yesterday. I've only owned the car since January...At first I thought my park brake was not down all the way, then noticed the light flickered when i hit bumps...then I noticed my reservoir is low...hmmm now I know why and what that light is for...duel purpose I guess! I just ordered Ate DOT 4 to top it off. This place might have what you're looking for if you have not tried them yet... https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/brakes/bmw-2-5-cs-3-0-csl-e9/catalog-picture-34-16.html

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
what timing of your post! that light just started to do the same thing just yesterday. I've only owned the car since January...At first I thought my park brake was not down all the way, then noticed the light flickered when i hit bumps...then I noticed my reservoir is low...hmmm now I know why and what that light is for...duel purpose I guess! I just ordered Ate DOT 4 to top it off. This place might have what you're looking for if you have not tried them yet... https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/brakes/bmw-2-5-cs-3-0-csl-e9/catalog-picture-34-16.html
I had this happen last fall, the float was fine but there was a leak in one of the lines coming out of the reservoir which is why my fluid was getting low. Initially it was very slow so I didn't spot it and I topped it up hoping it wasn't a bad booster, but eventually it got big enough to spot. Check for moist lines.

ColomboMotors

Reaction score
Also check to make sure your ebrake is fully retracted. That light will illuminate if the ebrake handle is not fully depressed.
Pull the back of the boot remove the wire from spring contact to make sure it is not paring brake switch
Yes my parking brake is and was fully retracted (down all the way) and still came on time to time. @sfdon I will do that to check to make sure it is not that issue. I can only assume it is the pin in the reservoir was bad after seeing that the float itself was dislodged from the strainer and full of brake fluid. Thank you!
I had this happen last fall, the float was fine but there was a leak in one of the lines coming out of the reservoir which is why my fluid was getting low. Initially it was very slow so I didn't spot it and I topped it up hoping it wasn't a bad booster, but eventually it got big enough to spot. Check for moist lines.
I will check that, thank you!
Crazy timing! I also hit bumps and notice it go off and back on again...I just refreshed the entire braking system a couple of months ago with new fluid and it was still at the the Maximum mark with no apparent leaks. I can only assume it is the pin in the reservoir was bad after seeing that the float itself was dislodged from the strainer and full of brake fluid. The pin was also not pushed up all the way to trigger the sensor on the cap to turn off. I will also check my handbrake sensor as the others have noted. Thanks!