Brake light indicator

Gernstetter

Reaction score
So today was cruising the Autobahn and the red brake light kept flashing on and off.....there is no problem with the brake system and no leaks.....so does anyone know where to look.....is the handbrake a source of a connection that turns it off, and if so, how do I inspect this....regards, Rob

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pull the boot and check the spring loaded switch at the rear. There is a small screw on the right side that holds it place and a slot that allows for adjustment.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
and check the sender unit in the cap of the fluid reservoir, it could be loosely wired etc. or even a little low of brake fluid.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
if it goes on and off, and provided there is not a low brake fluid issue, it is probably the handbrake, BTW the routing of that cable is not the best possible one, but another check i would recommend is the alignment of the brass lever that switches the brake reservoir cap,

let me explain, i found that if you introduce the cap carelessly you might get the brass lever not aligned with the floater needle, causing the red light to be permanently ON

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A timely post. I have been having trouble with a constant mostly, and sometimes intermittent handbrake light. I just overfilled the reservoir and the light still comes on. Now I know what to do. Thanks guys!!!

Tierfreund

Reaction score
The float element in the brake fluid container can start to leak. Then it fills up with brake fluid and sits to low setting of the contact. Had/have that in my E3.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Check the handbrake warning switch also, ie give the handbrake a wiggle to see if the light comes on. Mine had issues here, a simple adjustment fixed it.
C