Brake Lines

kys911t

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm in the process of having my calipers rebuilt. I got all of them off except the passenger front. The brake line to the calipers are frozen. I tried liquid wrench and tapped to try and get it loose but they just do not budge. I try the ones above attached to the shocks and they also do not budge. Last one is the one at as it goes through the body. Any suggestion on getting these loose. Im stuck like these fittings.

MMercury

Reaction score
If you are unable to budge any of the connections, you may not be exerting enough force or you may need to try other tools. Flare nut wrenches and vice grips are the first things that come to mind. If you are unable to bring yourself to force things for fear of rounding off the fittings, sometimes this is unavoidable. That is where the vice grips come into play. FWIW, look here for a different style of vice grip. (Same principles, but article deals with different "2 piston calipers") http://www.firstfives.org/faq/brakes/in-progress/CaliperRebuild.html

If you don't mind sacrificing the flex hose, you could always cut it and remove it with the short hard line that connects to the caliper. Then bring the entire unit to a machine shop or the shop that is doing the rebuild and they ought to be able to extricate things.

As a last resort, you could always use heat. Since brake fluid is flammable, great caution is required. The tool supplier at bottom seems too happy to use heat.

hth

2.jpg
3.jpg
VICE_GRIP_PLIER_NICKLE_PLATED.jpg
torch.jpg
vice_grips_small.jpg
7lw.jpg
113.jpg
11021001_z.jpg
P81307476PcFlareNutWrenchSet.JPG

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
PB Blaster....1st
then -Use your flare wrench and a sharp blow with a much bigger wrench.

61porsche

Reaction score
Some heat guns get as hot as 1200 degrees! May be better than a torch.

Two hammers with the part between. Shock the fitting to see if it will loosen.

kys911t

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I got them off. I see why I was having problems with my brakes now. They look like a overhaul was well over due and needed. Off to have them rebuilt. While it's on the stands, Im going to redo the mid shaft bearing and Guido. Thanks Again.