Brake Master Cylinder options

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I didn't come up with a solid solution by searching on our trusty forum so I hope that doesn't give me my answer... :D
On the early couple with bigger booster and smaller diameter master cylinder arrangement do we really need to spend $250 for a new one? I'm a bit shocked this is so high. Would not be afraid of a rebuild kit but prefer a new one. I don't see a rebuild kit out there anyway.... Anyone have tips out there?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Oops. My mistake, later booster only. However, if you click on that link and then on the Raybestos part number, it will give you a list of all the cars that used that same brake master. Maybe you could find an Alfa or a Volvo part.

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Still scouring the internet hoping for something solid, Master cylinder prices are all over the place ranging from $210 on Rockauto to $500 on another site.
So far the rebuild kits look like a guessing game as to bore diameter and what parts come with it. W/N has a RHD rebuild kit, and I still don't see why the heck internals would change between RH and LH drive cars...

jmackro

Reaction score
This is the correct 22.2mm master:

OK, so Thomas76 question might be revised to: "do we really need to spend $219 for a new one?" I guess AutoHausAZ has the right part, but its price is still pretty staggering. But, I guess if rebuild kits aren't available, and it's your brakes that we're talking about, there isn't much alternative.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Still scouring the internet hoping for something solid, Master cylinder prices are all over the place ranging from $210 on Rockauto to $500 on another site.
So far the rebuild kits look like a guessing game as to bore diameter and what parts come with it. W/N has a RHD rebuild kit, and I still don't see why the heck internals would change between RH and LH drive cars...

RHD cars have two master cylinders in series, so they could be very different. Lack of room is the reason, I think.

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I forgot to update this post, I ordered a new one from Rock auto 13034001 and cost $230 shipped. This was a quality piece made by Centric, however the casting is ATE. This could suggest they are taking old castings and rebuilding them in the factory? Either way problem solved and wasn't quite as expensive as I feared. Hope this helps!

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Glad it is fixed now, but just for info.
The RHD uses a master cylinder to feed two separate supplies to two remote servos. The reason for this vs LHD is the space and exhaust manifolds that sit in front of the driver on a RHD.
I can’t imagine that the internals could be the same between LHD and RHD.
If you think LHD master cylinders and servos are expensive take a look at the RHD parts prices . However the upside is that we don’t need to drive on the wrong side of the road

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All the usual suppliers under $300 for 34311120479 are out of these, any other options? I have a rebuild kit on order from E. Europe but who knows how long that will take.

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hmm, I do have a 1970 with the early booster. Not sure about crossover with 2002 master. It is installed and is road tested, works good on my whip. Dimensions matched my old one.
Sorry if this is turning out to make your sourcing more complicated.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All good, appreciate it

Hmm, I do have a 1970 with the early booster. Not sure about crossover with 2002 master. It is installed and is road tested, works good on my whip. Dimensions matched my old one.
Sorry if this is turning out to make your sourcing more complicated.