Brake pads: Textar, Jurid or ATE?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Street driven E3. I would prefer to deal with squealing or noise over major brake dust. Any opinions?

I went thru ATE fairly quickly, have Textar now but no data on duration or dust.
I use Sonax wheel cleaner BTW, stuff is awesome, spray on yellow, turns purple, smells great..................

It's been awhile but the last time I used Textar I had a LOT of dust. I'll check out Sonax...

I found some NLA PBR deluxe D-152 on eBay, they don't squeal and dust is minimal. Maybe someone has a set. I also use Sonax quite happily.

These are the anti squeal inserts for the brake pads..... they do infact work, been using them since for ever!

2973A8E9-86A9-4E2F-974C-9AB92EAF8F14.png

Textar pads in my wife's Benz C280 (W202) shed clouds of dust before she gets it out of the garage. I have to clean the wheels weekly or they're black. The dust gets under fingernails and is difficult to wash off. Wishing for PBR am I.

Yes, Textar produce a lot of dust, it's because pads are softer, but better news is that brake discs will last longer.
ATE are very hard, so brake discs will have hard life.

Street driven E3. I would prefer to deal with squealing or noise over major brake dust. Any opinions?

Over the eons, I have experience with Pagid, Mintex, Textar, Jurid, Ferrodo, REPCO/PBR and PBR/Axxis "branded" pads on numerous German cars, including E9, E3, and type 114. My preference leans toward what used to be labeled Repco Metal Master pads. They have been around from the '80s and maybe even earlier. As the name implies, they are semi metallic and tend to create less dust than the "deluxe" versions. (FWIW, both semi-metallic and deluxe compounds are apparently available the Mesa parts. Read about them here: http://mesaperformance.com/web_store/web_store.cgi?page=bmwcat/brakepad.html&category=yes , and no I have no affiliation with them. )

At the risk of ruffling some feathers, if you are really concerned about brake dust, you might consider some other friction materials, namely "ceramic" and “carbon fiber.” (The increased expense of CF pads eliminates them from practical consideration.) Most of the pad manufacturers tout ceramic pads as producing less dust than organic and even metal pads. They are also touted as being the kindest to rotors. Metallic compounds are said to deliver higher friction coefficients. I can’t say I have shopped for E9 ceramic compound brake pads, but from using them (Bendix, Raybestos, Akebono etc.) on other cars with satisfactory results, I wouldn’t hesitate to try them on E3s, E9s, or E24's.

img_0290.jpg

p90194029_highres_bmw-3-0-csl-hommage-.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

fef22e823841498ece7456bd293a3216.jpg

Huh?
fd06d0d99b382deb27a1da07c6220206.jpg

Over

Back