Brake repair saga

m_thompson

Reaction score
I have owned my 3.0CS for 32 years. I rebuilt the brake system when I got it. I don't drive it much I had to rebuild the calipers about 15 years ago because of sticky pistons. This year the pistons were sticking enough to make the wheels warm after a short drive, so it was time to do the calipers again.

I bought caliper rebuild kits, pad installation kits, bleeders, and pistons from Walloth & Nesch so I was ready for a simple project.

The pistons in the rear calipers were a little difficult to remove, but since I bought new ones I didn't care if I dinged the old ones. I bought some gold VHT high temperature paint to make the calipers pretty. When I painted the calipers I noticed that one of the bolts that holds the left rear caliper together was missing. I posted a plea here for a replacement bolt and a member said that he would send me one. I sent him $10 for postage but never received the bolt. I saw a rebuilt 3.0CS caliper on eBay for $35, so I bought it just to get a bolt. After a week I received a CARDONE 19-431 caliper. This is listed on their WWW page for a 3.0CS, but it doesn't have the spacer between the caliper halves so it is too narrow to fit.. The picture on the CARDONE WWW site shows the caliper without the spacer. CARDONE didn't much care about having the wrong caliper shown for the 3.0CS and won't fix their WWW listing. The bolts in the narrower caliper were too short to use in my 3.0CS caliper. I bought a Nugeon 22-02368L left rear caliper through Bavarian Auto. The Nugeon WWW site also shows the caliper without the spacer, but I actually received one with a spacer that fits a 3.0CS. I didn't trust the rebuilt caliper, so I disassembled it, painted it, and rebuilt it with the W & N parts.

The pistons for the front calipers were difficult to remove. Since I had good luck with the inexpensive Nugeon calipers from Bavarian Auto I ordered two front calipers and stopped working on my calipers. A day after I placed the order I received an email from Bavarian Auto saying that that it might take up to two weeks to get the calipers. After two weeks I emailed Bavarian Auto to get a date for delivery of the calipers. The reply from customer service said that their vendor didn't have any cores to rebuild, so they had no idea when or if the calipers might arrive. I went back to work on my front calipers. A few days later the front calipers arrived. Of course they were 2800CS calipers for the non-vented rotors, just like the picture on the Nugeon WWW page. I sent a spontaneously combustible email to Bavaria Auto and they sent a UPS call tag to ship the calipers back.

Today I finished rebuilding the front calipers and my 3.0CS is back on the road. If I still own the 3.0CS in 15 years I will pay the $1,300 and buy new calipers.

Last edited:

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
my exact experience with both suppliers, the worst part is both suppliers have had enough experience with us cs guysthat they know about the problem with our listings but they still don't do anything about it....guess I will follow your example and do the rebuilds myself... Thanks for your post

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I hope you got a good excuse why you never received the bolt. $10 is not much money, but this forum seems to work great on the old fashioned principle of integrity. The 2800 CS had drum rear brakes, so not sure what rear calipers you received.

m_thompson

Reaction score
I hope you got a good excuse why you never received the bolt. $10 is not much money, but this forum seems to work great on the old fashioned principle of integrity. The 2800 CS had drum rear brakes, so not sure what rear calipers you received.

The same ATE caliper casting was used on lots of German cars with both solid and vented rotors. My CS has vented rotors so it has spacers between the caliper halves. Either the rebuilder forgot to put the spacers in, or the calipers came from a car that has solid rotors.

Last edited:

m_thompson

Reaction score

My fault on the caliper bolt, I sent the address with the zip code for work instead of home. The Post Office was too lazy to read the address and returned the package. It is on the way back.

m_thompson

Reaction score
The brake pedal was a little squishy so I bled the brakes again last night. Quite a bit of air from the rear calipers. I was very surprised to see that one of the front caliper brake pad anti-rattle clips that I bought from W&N was broken in half. Well I got to use it for about 10 miles and 24 hours. I replaced both of the new ones with the original 43 year old ones. It will be interesting to see what W&N says about the failure.

When I put the front wheels back on I tried to turn the rotor to put the studs in a convenient position. I was a little surprised to find that I couldn't turn the rotor and had visions of disassembling the calipers again to find the problem. It turned out that the pressure brake bleeder had enough pressure to push the pads against the rotors and prevent them from moving.

Hopefully I am done with the brakes for a long time.

The next saga will be replacing the front strut cartridges.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought a front axle for my Audi A6 from Cardone. The CV joint fell apart in my hands right out of the box. Scary quality control.

m_thompson

Reaction score
The painted calipers look very nice compared to the original rust.

Attachments

• Front_Caliper.jpg
    Front_Caliper.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 119