Brake resevoir hose

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I want to replace the original hoses from my reservoir to the master cylinder and want to keep the braided look, do I need special DOT 3 resistant hoses or will these work, and is the black hose the same as the blue one rubber-wise except for the cloth color, or do I need the blue version? They look the same. I prefer the stock looking black. TIA

https://www.belmetric.com/rh7-p-952.html?zenid=iq4qmprlhkf1eqps0uvf76tus4&cPath=14_138

https://www.belmetric.com/rh7blue-p-947.html?zenid=iq4qmprlhkf1eqps0uvf76tus4&cPath=14_138

Last edited:

61porsche

Reaction score
Steve,

Although Continental makes both hoses, owns ATE, etc. The Blue hose is brake rated. Just like the a/c hoses, the formula and make up of hoses has changed over the years.

They do make a black cloth brake hose in their catalog, but I don't see it in your selection. maybe a little more searching and the black will show up.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
steve,

just make sure that you choose a hose rated "brake use"

i can not tell which is the specification, for example i know that you need NBR rate type for fuel,

brake fluid is very particular, so make sure that you get the right material

i bought mine from walloth and it is blue rubber hose with blue cloth around

regards

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I ordered this black cloth hose from penskeparts.com not too long ago for my master cylinder rebuild this spring: #21521163714 7.5 x 13(meter) for $9.12

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The blue one is the original although they used to have a pronounced white thread in it but no longer.

Chris

this is supposed to be the original ?

120820073308.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, blue is original except they used to have a white spiral thread around the hose. Today it is just blue with maybe white letters, made by Continental I think.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My brake hoses are original and they are black but am going to blue for a little more color under the hood.

61porsche

Reaction score
Brake Hose Cutting

Has anyone come up with a way to keep the cloth from fraying? I know the tip about a piece of masking tape to get a clean cut.

DQ, the clamps look nice. I've seen tie wraps. Originally, I don't think there's anything b ut interference from the hose/ pipe.

Wax?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I do - replaced the rear brake hoses a couple months ago with SS - there was very little rear brake action, the fronts were changed about 10 years ago so SS going on there this weekend. The hoses from the reservoir to the MC and SC are original and also getting replaced, then everything bled. One (very corroded) clamp on the pipe to the SC, no other clamps - this will change. Also changing out the power brake vacuum hose and the power steering resevoir hose.

Steve,

I hope you don't still have 40 year old hoses in your coupe!

:)

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for this discussion. I will check all my hoses tomorrow. I wonder how many of us are driving with original hose. Is that possible, or would they have deteriorated by now

Steve

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for this discussion. I will check all my hoses tomorrow. I wonder how many of us are driving with original hose. Is that possible, or would they have deteriorated by now

Steve

Doubtful! The original cloth braid will have frayed and disintegrated by now.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
My '76 Si had the original hoses on it, still functional without leaks, but very stiff. You can see the "1-76" date code and the faint spiral white line running through it.

P1020454.JPG

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Has anyone come up with a way to keep the cloth from fraying? I know the tip about a piece of masking tape to get a clean cut.

hi, when i work with black hoses, i use a piece of electric tape (the one from wurth that is made of cloth), and then i cut it with that garden scissors (those to cut flowers, you know), they make an astonishing clean cut, and the tape retains the cloth

i do not use conventional tape because with aging it spreads the glue out from it and everything gets sticky

in this case being blue hoses, i use the clamps close to the end of the hose to maintain the cloth inside them and nicely finished

DQ, the clamps look nice. I've seen tie wraps. Originally, I don't think there's anything b ut interference from the hose/ pipe.

yes, you are right, ther is no need of clamps or tie wraps, because there is no pressure over there, but as the fluid is not water, but the damned corrosive brake oil, i prefer to secure my steps, ha, ha

Wax?

regards

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
My '76 Si had the original hoses on it, still functional without leaks, but very stiff. You can see the "1-76" date code and the faint spiral white line running through it.

hi luis,

good to see that you are working on it !

I can not see the lateral pipe coming out from your brake fluid reservoir, I mean the one that in my case goes to the clutch master cylinder (you can see how it is in my car in the pic i posted a couple of days ago)

explanation ?

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
DQ,

Good eye on the missing reservoir outlet. Automatic cars, having no hydraulic clutch, require only two pipes so there exist two different resevoir styles.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
In regards to hose cutting. My favorite tool is the Sear/Craftsman Handi Cut. Scary sharp and strong blade:
handi-cut.jpg