Brakes – My 9 lives !

Paul T

Reaction score
On Saturday I took my CSL for its annual MOT. Naturally it was sailing through when we came to test the brakes. With my mechanic in the car he ran the rears onto the rollers and hit the brakes. His foot went flat to the floor and I mean flat !

With the car up in the air we could see that one of the copper brake hoses had been rubbing against the gearbox heat shield and had worn through. The car went through a ground up restoration a while ago and although everything is in very good condition I hadn’t checked the brake lines other than those near to the callipers etc. Food for thought.

This could have happened at anytime I am just thanking my lucky stars that it didn’t other wise there would be one less CSL on the road. Proof that God drives an E9 ?

Paul

PS Apologies to anyone of a religious persuasion for taking the Lords name in vain.

corsachili

Reaction score
Congratulations on the save! Hopefully the pipe in question is not the one that goes from the MC all the way to the rear proportioning valve. It's about 8 feet long, has a variety of bends and kinks in it, and would be well-nigh impossible to install without removing the gearbox, driveshaft, and exhaust (I know, I just did it).

Paul T

Reaction score
Unfortunately it is (the line that goes the length of the car) and based on the call I have just had from my mechanic he has already done it.

Apparently he has a octopus specifically trained for the porpoise (sorry).

P

Malc

Reaction score
Paul a lucky save I think Do check your engine and gearbox mounts are good so that this doesn't happen again.
This is one reason I am going to run the brake line to the back inside the car a la rally cars
Malc