Bring a Trailer Premium?

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think for certain cars (Porsches, BMW E9s, E10s, Pagodas) yes. Bidders/buyers enjoy commentator's expertise and bid accordingly.

Other cars (musclecars, steet rods, funky cars), not so much.

Problem is, it can take 5 weeks for your car to get listed! That's how long it took for my 2002 to get on there.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Problem is, it can take 5 weeks for your car to get listed! That's how long it took for my 2002 to get on there.
My guess is that it is only going to take longer...especially after this Hagerty article that essentially says BaT is the best place to market your collector car.

I fear the other change that may be (is?) occurring is that because BaT has "the pick of the litter" of collector cars to run, they will (are?) selecting those that bring the most money. BaT makes their money with the 5% buyer fee. The higher the car sells for, the more BaT makes (up to $100,000...the buyer's fee is capped at $5,000) From a revenue standpoint, it makes sense for BaT to run cars that will sell at or over $100,000.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Shrewd business move for Hagerty to put out an article like this. It pre-emptively points Hagerty customers to the Hagerty Price Guide mechanism, in which value varies a lot based on condition.

The other comment I will add is that their analysis seems to compare two different buyers. I would think that people buying cars elsewhere and within a year selling on BAT probably did not buy the car with the intention to keep it. These buyers are not willing to pay a fair market price, because if they had to pay a market price there would be no room for a profit on a flip. Thus, this data set is skewed toward below market purchasers who resell within a short time. People who purchased on BAT and sold elsewhere within a year are probably not a comparable group because BAT is not a place bargain hunters search for cars to flip.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Shrewd business move for Hagerty to put out an article like this. It pre-emptively points Hagerty customers to the Hagerty Price Guide mechanism, in which value varies a lot based on condition.

The other comment I will add is that their analysis seems to compare two different buyers. I would think that people buying cars elsewhere and within a year selling on BAT probably did not buy the car with the intention to keep it. These buyers are not willing to pay a fair market price, because if they had to pay a market price there would be no room for a profit on a flip. Thus, this data set is skewed toward below market purchasers who resell within a short time. People who purchased on BAT and sold elsewhere within a year are probably not a comparable group because BAT is not a place bargain hunters search for cars to flip.
I agree. I always look at when the BAT seller acquired the car they are selling. It amazes me that so many up for re-sale, have been acquired within the previous 6 months. Says something to me. Spidey sense says beware. ;)

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree. I always look at when the BAT seller acquired the car they are selling. It amazes me that so many up for re-sale, have been acquired within the previous 6 months. Says something to me. Spidey sense says beware. ;)
Interestingly enough, if you read the live auction sale blurbs in Sports Car Market each month, there are lots and lots of cars that sellers flip through those brick and mortar auction houses. The success rate in making a profit seems about 50/50, which is not a great business model.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
12 weeks to get a car listed on BaT nowadays.... Great place to sell. Not to buy, though there is the rare fair value deal...