Bumper rubber.

damienh

Reaction score
Does anyone have a trick to get this rubber to tuck in nicely at the end on the front bumper ? I’ve pushed it in a little further than it was originally to cover a couple of scratches, maybe that’s the reason.

Attachments

• 56F8E6AF-8071-412B-AC24-9C48B7C5FA37.jpeg
    56F8E6AF-8071-412B-AC24-9C48B7C5FA37.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 52FCFE6E-8451-4882-8B7A-7B053D1D5B77.jpeg
    52FCFE6E-8451-4882-8B7A-7B053D1D5B77.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 105

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I believe you answered your own question....unless you want to alter the rubber by continuing the taper.

damienh

Reaction score
Haha, yes and no. It doesn’t taper as far as I’m aware, at least this piece of rubber, is that the problem then ? Should it ? It was very hard to shove into that little gap. It literally fell apart when I tried to remove it so have no idea how it was originally.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
There are lines on the bumper, marks where the rubber sat for 50 years, that's where it is suppose to sit. Use WD 40 to help make the stuff slippery. Though many say never use WD 40 on rubber, there is no basis for that, at least per my son who is a chemist. I asked him this exact question. I tried stuff like bullsnot, works ok, found it irritating to the hands.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
There are lines on the bumper, marks where the rubber sat for 50 years, that's where it is suppose to sit. Use WD 40 to help make the stuff slippery. Though many say never use WD 40 on rubber, there is no basis for that, at least per my son who is a chemist. I asked him this exact question. I tried stuff like bullsnot, works ok, found it irritating to the hands.

I've read that WD-40 destroys rubber, paint, etc. It is fantastic for removing wax residue from paint. Poor man's Armorall on rubber. Super slippery. Doesn't contain silicone. I use it for a lot of things, including removing rust from chrome (with #0000 steel wool). I would not hesitate to use WD-40 on the backside of the rubber lips. Your galvanized steel mounting strips are going to fail long before the "rubber" does.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, the steel wool and WD 40 combo is great on chrome ( very light pressure) and also to remove oxidized old rubber. I actually gave up on Gummi Pflege , only miss the smell, not the product..

damienh

Reaction score
Thanks Bob, I have the BMW recommended Gummi Flege, works pretty well. I have heard bad stories about products, I think, which have petroleum in them, which can react over time with rubber.