California MV Registration records?

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A question for those who can still driver their cars in December- Is there a way to research the history (owners) of a vehicle imported into and registered in California in the mid 60s? I have the vin of course and the original black plates along with a more recent California title.

Any info would be appreciated- Richard

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No, Cal DMV won't release any prior owner info. They have a form you can submit for $10 but it only tells you that you are the owner, no prior history! Their data sometimes only goes back 7-10 years anyways.

glenn in encinitas

Site Donor
Reaction score
DMV, like all California public agencies, is not allowed to release personal information such as names and addresses (what would be on a title document) as a matter of law. Law enforcement and certain other agencies can get this information, however. In California, the information is maintained for a vehicle- even if the vehicle has since been totaled.

So if you happen to be very good friends with someone in law enforcement ....

rdholland

Reaction score
CA DMV may surprise you

I bought my 68 200CS this April sitting in Phoenix since 1988 with CA blue plates. P.O. had lost the title, keys, etc. It had never been registered in Arizona. I was quite worried at first after talking to a CA DMV agent who confidently stated that their records do not go back that far and I would have to start from the beginning as if it were a new car and actually bring it (non-running) to a CA DMV facility! :confused: BTW, I live in Anchorage, AK...

Then, three months of trying to figure out how to get an original title as opposed to salvage, abandon, etc. lots of stress, no need to touch on those details.....

Then, I remembered that you rarely get good customer service anymore and have to sometimes simply try the same question with another person. It went something like this:

Me: hello, blah blah I really need to tell you a story.....can you help me?
DMV nice guy: what's the VIN?
Me: 110 4664
DMV 5 seconds later - O.K. here it is 1968 BMW 2000
Me: license tag #blah blah??
DMV: I don't see a problem so far, what else do you need?
Me, now pushing the envelope: The registered owner's name is blah blah
DMV: everything seems fine here, do you have a pen and paper sir?
Me: yep!
DMV guy, now best friend: write down every step I tell you......
now, at this point the guy even pointed out that the car had a lien on it in the mid 1980's that was never cleared. He gave me the name and address of the lien holder and told me how to send them a request for evidence of the lien satisfied, but to send it certified mail and keep the returned letter in the event they no longer existed at that address. The letter came back to me of course and I sent it in with the rest of the DMV paper work as instructed.

CA title in my name with correct VIN and model showed up in my mail box two weeks later, having sent in my notarized original bill of sale and correct DMV form. The title showed some title history as well with the car being first registered in CA in 1978.

I am sure that this is not proof that they always have the information but it is certainly hard evidence that they can, at least when they want to.

Of course you have to be really charming and charismatic:razz:

Regards,
Rob

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rob,

Why a CA title if you live in Alaska? And did they let you keep the blue plates on the registration? They should as long as you have proof which the DMV obviously found.

Chris

rdholland

Reaction score
Complications of cross state lines

Rob,

Why a CA title if you live in Alaska? And did they let you keep the blue plates on the registration? They should as long as you have proof which the DMV obviously found.

Chris

I tried to title the car in Alaska after CA DMV told me initially that nothing was on record. But the car was not in my name so it was not as simple as if I were transferring a CA title to an Alaska title where I live. Both Alaska and Arizona (another option I had) would not originate a title unless it was a bonded title - possible, but what a mess!

Bear in mind that throughout the process above, I believed that there was no original title on record. So the P.O. could apply for a lost title from CA, or myself, that's when I called back.

It is note worthy that CA let me apply for the replacement title, with only a bill of sale from the P.O. This is apparently due to the fact that when the car had last been registered in CA (tags expired 1988 pink-slip rules still applied there. There was a form I had to submit to CA wherein I actually had to write a narrative of the history of this car and the current pending transaction! This they happily accepted with the bill of sale.

This process was also contingent on the application being for replacement title only and no registration, along with my written statement that the car was already removed from CA and would not be registered there. This was tantamount to the process. I was allowed to keep the blue plates since the car was not being registered concurrent with title. Now, I can transfer the title to an Alaska title at my leisure, since the car is in my name. Quite a process, huh?

Rob