California Title

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looking at the past 10 or so auctions on BaT, the pattern in sale price is significantly affected by California legality, or not. CA is a huge, huge market for these cars and even though any given car might not have ended up in CA, the final sale price would be affected by a CA based bidder bidding on the the car, or not.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting. Cars from CA can be more valuable, and cars legal in CA also from what you indicate.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
The term "California car" has been around for a lot time referring to cars that are typically in better condition. No news there, but even with today's manufacturing and built in protections from the elements CA cars are still in demand. While I bid auctions every day I see most of the vehicles go out of the state. Mexico, other U.S. states and out of the country. I'm sure part of it is because CA has so many vehicles, but they are genuinely better quality cars.

The CA title is another topic completely. I just purchased a '79 Mercedes 300GD. Never sold in the U.S. so you can import them to any other state, get it federalized fairly easily and inexpensively but in CA it's an expensive nightmare. Others say it costs $10-15k to get one certified by CARB now. Most don't try. The previous owner had it titled here for over ten years, bought it in Oregon and took it to the CA DMV and they titled it without question. He didn't know how hard it normally is and just got lucky. Now that it's titled here there's no issues. You definitely pay extra for a CA title if you live in CA.

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
To clarify, I mean gray market cars. A California blue plate or black plate car has always been desirable . Not sure when this whole 1968 and later issue came up on top of everything else.

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
To clarify, I mean gray market cars. A California blue plate or black plate car has always been desirable . Not sure when this whole 1968 and later issue came up on top of everything else. Generally speaking: Nice 72 CSI in Oregon-75,000. Same car Federalised and BAR/CARB sticker in CA- 150,000.
Wow, that is a 2x impact. It proves the demand from CA drivers affects the price, beyond the intrinsic value a CSi has.

Digressing a bit, "Canadian Royalty Trusts" like Enerplus returned their natural gas extraction profits as a healthy dividend to investors. It was a great instrument for retirees even in the US.
One day Canadian politicians taxed the dividends to non-Canadian shareholders arguing it was their natural resource... I predicted the composition of shareholders would change (Canadian citizens would buy non citizen's shares) but the long term share price would not drop as the risk/reward had not changed for a given Canadian investor. The share price dropped big time :(.

Two lessons in economics:
Demand matters.
I am not always right, though lately I am :).

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
To a CA buyer having an existing CA title is a big deal for 68 and later grey market vehicles. I don’t think it matters that much to non-CA buyers though.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
I suppose it doesn't apply to e9s but one big factor for collector cars in CA is year. 1975 is the cutoff for being smog exempt. Getting a 1976 car to pass, even to the standards of the day, is a PITA and requires all original pollution control equipment to be installed.
There’s more complexity with grey market cars even pre-1976. I think 1968 is the cutoff for that one.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is an academic question as I am not worried about passing emission tests here or in California.

My USA model 1970 2800CS still has the dashpot that keeps the butterflies in the carbs from slamming shut on deceleration, but I'm wondering what other emission controls were put on these early cars. Remembering from my VW days of similar vintage cars, the 1967 engines were the last ones without any changes. In '68 they changed the carburetor and again in 1970, along with adding a dashpot. The displacement increased in those years so that may be part of the carb changes. I don't know if the distributor advance was modified during those years but I think it was later. Certainly the 1971 engine had the most power with its new dual intake heads, Increasingly strict emission requirements sapped the power output in the following years.

Are all Zenith carbs for the M30 engine the same? I've picked up a pair as spares but if the jets are different for later years because of emissions requirements & larger displacement, that would be good to know if I wanted to swap one out vs using both.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
you need no emissions on the car calif only required it down to 1974 and up
so if its a74 or ealier your good to go

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
The sad thing is, adding one 4 way stop creates more pollution than any single vintage car.