Caliper removal tools

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I removed my calipers and rubber brake lines this weekend and thought I would mention a couple of things about the tools.

You need very good quality 11mm and 14mm flare nut wrenches. One characteristic they need, (especially on the 11mm,) is to be "flat" on both sides. Not "caved" in as in the wrench at the top in the photo below.

The reason is that where the steel line that attaches to the flexible rubber hose right after having gone through the front fender, there is a trapeze shaped clip which butts right against that 11mm nut. The wrench needs to be able to "grab" as much of the surface of that nut in order not to strip it. The "caved in" type of wrenches waste a good 1 or 2 mm before they actually grab the nut, thereby increasing the chance of stripping it dramatically. DAMHIK...

The good one at the bottom of the picture is a SnapOn. Of course...

IMG_0348.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0350.JPG
    IMG_0350.JPG
    390.8 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The second tool I found real handy is the the on in this picture. (Not sure what its correct name is...) Once the nut is loosened with the flare nut, but is still too hard to unscrew by hand, this guy lets you unscrew it much faster and easier than a regular open end wrench which you have to pull out and back in every time.

I would not use these for anything requiring torque bc the surface that contacts the nut is much reduced but when you can't use a ratchet the notch on its fourth face makes this guy the next best thing in my experience.

(I didn't have a metric version so I used this SAE one. As long as little or no torque is needed, it works fine)

IMG_0350.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: