Cam Chain Slack. Expert advice needed please.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Whilst adjusting my valve lash clearance I noticed the cam chain was very lose on the tension side, I can lift it several mm with a screw driver. So rotated the engine via the alternator pulley and the chain is now lose on the tensioner side.
I see the tensioner has a spring, but is it pressurised by the engine oil pressure? I assume it is.
Is it normal to have plenty of slack in the chain when the engine is off? Should I be worried about this and remove the front end, timing cover etc to check? The engine is in the car and was running ok until I started this routine maintenance.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You can move the tensioner with a screwdriver, oil in the chamber and the spring will provide tension against the chain at all times. Move it and see if it returns. This is how you prime it with oil.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Don't worry a lot about this.
The chains at rest will develop some slack especially if the car has been sitting a few days.
Just be sure the tensioner is working as suggested by Chris.
Easily replaceable if a problem.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you attempt to remove the tensioner, take car to keep some pressure on the screwdriver throughout the removal process. Otherwise, you will have parts flying around