Cam chain tensioner

2800cs

Reaction score
Ive developed a light rattle....Its not deep enough or consistent enough to be any kind bearing knock...its not pinging... and I just did the valves.

Im wondering if its the cam chain tensioner? It rattles upon start up, and once there is oil pressure it stops. Then if you rev it up to about 4000 you can hear it start to come on again. Im wondering if the spring is weak and its not holding pressure.

Do these symptoms point toward the tensioner?

From previous posts this sounds like an easy thing to do??

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It could be the tensioner, but it's not the spring. The spring is just a failsafe; chain tension is maintained by oil pressure. The tensioner can get clogged. It's not tough to clean, but the cost of a replacement piston is negligible, might as well buy a new one. There are instructions for replacing the piston in all of the repair manuals -- Clymer, Haynes, blue books, etc.

You should check the condition of the chain tensioner rails too; you have to pull the valve cover to check them.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Yeah, the cost of a complete tensioner assembly (spring, washer, and piston) is less than 30 bucks from the stealer. It is really a no brainer to replace it, takes about 5 min. The guides, however, are another matter entirely.

When I replaced mine, it was slightly worn on the lower side, and replacing it helped to cut down on the "gearish" noises the engine made.