cam timing question

charofire

Reaction score
Could use some help - this is a 735i 90 head. I recently replaced a HG, and trying to determine if I'm off by a tooth. Head had previously never been skimmed, so little was machined down. The balancer is currently set at TDC.
When I look at the camshaft top bolt, it appears to be aligned perfectly between the 2 head bolts, pointing at 12 o'clock. When I look at the camshaft adaptor (11311288027) it does not appear to point at 12 o'clock, but half way between 12 and 1. So which relative reference point is correct - the northern cam bolt, or the adaptor? Thanks.

v8axh.png

taiwja.png

b6o64j.png

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Your first pic looks correct, end of bolt points at flat spot between valves. As Don will tell you make sure you do two complete revolutions of the crank to arrive at TDC. I used a regular dizzy not b35 dizzy so can't comment on front side view.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Never use an old chain
You forgot the plastic shield in your housing
Paint your dampener.
I want a chicken burrito.
Your cam gear is worn
Ream out your cam gear bolt holes 2 mm to adjust for the .008 you cut the head.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
BTW- that sure looks like a turbo oil cooler line in front.....

charofire

Reaction score
For those of you curious about the answer: the cam bolt in the 12 position is the relative reference point to determine if the cam is also in TDC. Don built a turbo motor for me in 2008. Since then, I put on 25,000 miles. After finding 3 cylinders with 50% leak down (ironically I had great compression), I decided it was time to R&R the bottom end. I took a spare 745i block to Don's machine shop, and had them keep the 745i crank, block, but went with b35 pistons, and a b35 head. Don had replaced the timing components and chain in 2008 when it was originally put together.

Never use an old chain
You forgot the plastic shield in your housing
Paint your dampener.
I want a chicken burrito.
Your cam gear is worn
Ream out your cam gear bolt holes 2 mm to adjust for the .008 you cut the head.