Can ellipsoid headlilghts be made to fit?

Honolulu

Reaction score
thinking maybe just grind off the ears - but then do they fit in the sealed beam buckets well enough to aim them in any reliable fashion?

Maybe I'm the only guy still running sealed beams? Haven't seen anything about headlights for a long time. New Hella H1/H4 sets are a bit much, since I seldom drive at night, but there are a pair of ellipsoids available and maybe...

What's the collective wisdom about headlight upgrades? Here in the city I don't need the high beams, just stronger lows.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I got fed up with sealed beams around September and found that either
Hellas and Cibies fit right in.Don't know about ellipsoids. I went for the Hellas, they are brighter, fill the night, and mostly look much better IMO even if you don't drive at night.

Here is a picture right after replacing them:

hellas2.jpg

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Which ellipsoids do you mean? The E34 ellipsoids are much physically smaller than the H1/H4 setup on the coupe. The brackets are very different, and much smaller than the E9 buckets.

Honolulu

Reaction score
Apparently what I'm looking at...

are E30 ellipsoids. I'd have to grind off the ears, but they look like they'd fit. I know the E9 sealed beams are 5-3/4 inch diameter, has anyone used these E30 reflectors?

I figure I can uprate the capsules if I want, given a little rewiring and some fuses inline.

TILLA

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would go with Hella e-Code replacements, they drop in and have a better spread pattern than the DOT approved lights. Here is a link for a company that has a lot of information and a large selection of bulb options, I have never dealt with them but plan to in the near future. You can also upgrade to HID bulbs and ballasts if you choose later on (and want to spend an extra $300.00+).

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/5.75_lo.asp

Also, it has the provision for "city lights" that they use in Europe - a small bulb that illuminates the low beam, the precursor of "angel eyes".