Can someone help with which model E9 this is?

almostM

Reaction score
I went up to Ocean City for a VW show this past weekend and saw this car sitting in someone's driveway. I had to stop and snap some pics, and also leave a note on the car asking if they wanted to sell. It appears to be a 3.0cs but the front airdam is throwing me off, a CSL rep perhaps? Also any idea what an unrestored one of these go for these days? The house looked like maybe a rental, no other cars, looked like there was nothing in the house, so hopefully someone will call. If not Ill have to start asking neighbors. Thanks in advance for any help!

Note the Racing Dynamics wheels!
2jcask3.jpg

There appear to be al least 3 holes in the boot, maybe a former wing?
2yy7911.jpg

154vvax.jpg

I would love to save this car from rotting away, I just found an '86 E30 (please don't scoff at it E9 guys)with 130k for 200 bucks that I'll will be refurbishing
r2m915.jpg

acat2002

Reaction score
you probably could have written down the VIN # from the top of the steering column. Then you'd have a shot at figuring it out. Until you know the correct VIN, it could turn out to be anything.

almostM

Reaction score
you probably could have written down the VIN # from the top of the steering column. Then you'd have a shot at figuring it out. Until you know the correct VIN, it could turn out to be anything.

Believe me, I seriously regret not doing that, thought I'd ask the pros

almostM

Reaction score
Just to stop any confusion, the last pic is of the E30 I just picked up. There was alot of crap inside the interor so I couldn't really check it out, also the car was locked. So its looking like a 3.0cs right? Any way to distiguish model years by lights or trim?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A case for Chief Inspector Cluseau from the Surete.

I see a Euro 1972 CSi, 4 speed, German delivery to US airman, about 7-8 fun years in Europe, two repaints in the US, not original color, not garaged for the last five years, Bilsteins, lowered springs, non-leather interior, trunk spoiler was stolen in 2009, stuck rear windows, extra speakers with 1980s era stereo, toolbox half complete, registration expired in 2008, current owner in late twenties early thirties, relocated frequently since the housing foreclosure mess, planning a full restore for a while, and somewhere under the upholstery a few old coins and a German Weissbier label waiting to be found.

almostM

Reaction score
A case for Chief Inspector Cluseau from the Surete.

I see a Euro 1972 CSi, 4 speed, German delivery to US airman, about 7-8 fun years in Europe, two repaints in the US, not original color, not garaged for the last five years, Bilsteins, lowered springs, non-leather interior, trunk spoiler was stolen in 2009, stuck rear windows, extra speakers with 1980s era stereo, toolbox half complete, registration expired in 2008, current owner in late twenties early thirties, relocated frequently since the housing foreclosure mess, planning a full restore for a while, and somewhere under the upholstery a few old coins and a German Weissbier label waiting to be found.

How romantic..thats prob more than 50% true.

Hopefully she'll be mine soon, and I realize I'll never be able to afford to restore it and sell you guys some parts:mrgreen:

almostM

Reaction score
Really, does he have east coast residences? Tell him to call me! BTW this car is located in MD.

acat2002

Reaction score
Any way to distiguish model years by lights or trim?

be careful not to base any assumptions on trim. these cars are 35+ years old and many parts throughout the years are interchangable. For all we know, it could be a 2800cs.

I did notice the faded paint on the trunk abruptly stops towards the rear. Maybe somebody was trying to create a BAT clone?

Based on the surroundings, maybe you could wave a $500 Wal-Mart gift card at the owner and you'd become the proud owner! Okay, that's a little harsh, but it doesn't really appear to be "loved" by an enthusiast (being parked outside with three months worth of grass-clippings lodged in the wheels). I'd say you have a better than average shot at working that car out from under the owner relatively cheap!

almostM

Reaction score
be careful not to base any assumptions on trim. these cars are 35+ years old and many parts throughout the years are interchangable. For all we know, it could be a 2800cs.

I did notice the faded paint on the trunk abruptly stops towards the rear. Maybe somebody was trying to create a BAT clone?

Based on the surroundings, maybe you could wave a $500 Wal-Mart gift card at the owner and you'd become the proud owner! Okay, that's a little harsh, but it doesn't really appear to be "loved" by an enthusiast (being parked outside with three months worth of grass-clippings lodged in the wheels). I'd say you have a better than average shot at working that car out from under the owner relatively cheap!

Ha Wal-Mart card, hilarious. Thats the plan, thats the plan. So the vin is on the steering column?

de coupe

Reaction score
I did see a car quite similar some years ago in California

I saw a blue car in a shop racing dynamic wheels and I dont remember if it had the front bumper or not.

I saw a 3.0cs blue in color sittting and I do mean sitting in a shop about two or three maybe four years ago. The shop being off University Ave in the City of San Diego "not the best of areas". The gentalman working on it just stood there scratching his head when I asking what was wrong. It was looking petty nice nardi wheel and all.

Is this anyone here...

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
TROLL Post

So, you saw this sitting in a driveway, with no one around huh? And when you found it unlocked, rolled it out and took some fotos just for ships and squiggles? How did it steer with the steering column locked?

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
dp-Huh? He says the car was locked, and I don't see any evidence of it being moved. Maybe I'm missing something.

The the OP-You don't want that car. Sunbaked and rotted at the same time, likely. There are others out there that people actually want to sell.

I'd poke around too, though, can't help myself!

almostM

Reaction score
Yeah...what? It was just the first E9 coupe I've seen in the flesh, and I hate to see cars of this heritage rotting away. Did eurosport make BMW parts at some point? I thought they were a VW tuner. Even if I could aquire the car just for parts Im sure there is something on it you guys could use.

jmackro

Reaction score
You don't want that car. Sunbaked and rotted at the same time, likely. There are others out there that people actually want to sell.

almost-M:

'69 2800cs is offering you some good advice. None of us like to see a car rotting away - on that we agree. But, that doesn't mean that it's your responsibility to save every one.

If this is the first e9 you have seen, it would be prudent to inspect a few more before you buy. At a minimum, have someone who knows a LOT about e9's, as well as car restoration in general, inspect this car and pronounce it worthy of further investment. Actually, getting a pre-purchase inspection is a good idea before buying any car, particularly one prone to structural rust.

The concern is that even if you do pick up this car for a $500 WalMart gift certificate, if it costs you another $25,000 to make it roadworthy, then it wasn't such a great deal.

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How far from the coastal highway is that place? Is this a coupel of block from the sea to boot?

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
dp-Huh? He says the car was locked, and I don't see any evidence of it being moved. Maybe I'm missing something.
Um...I missed something, the interior photo was of an E30. doh!