can you replace water chokes on Webers with Electric ones?

Ed Giguere

Reaction score
Hey Now,

The chokes on my 2 weber 32\36's constantly get sticky, and after cleaning them they will work fairly well for maybe 500 miles tops, then they need to be serviced again. UGH! Is there a fairly easy way to replace the H2O chokes on these carbs with electric ones? Have any of you done this swap? If so, are you pleased with the results?

Thanks a bunch for any help you can provide.

Cheers,
Ed

nealf

Reaction score
I just had this done

On my '70 2800CS and got the car back last night. I was having problems with the water chokes as well.

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've not done this myself (the only Weber in my household is hanging on an old 2002 manifold), but I don't see why it would be difficult. I'd peruse the Pierce Manifolds website, maybe drop them a note.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
It does not seem too likely that a sticky choke problem would be any better or worse with water or electric. The only fundamental difference is the heat source. If the water is not leaking into the choke mechanism, and the water is getting warm, then it should be fine. I would suggest you try to find the source of whatever is causing the sticking problem. Most likely something in the mechanism / linkage is bent or the choke butterfly plates are out of alignment. I've also seen the little pull-back springs fail; do your chokes feel spring when engaged? Perhaps some WD40 on the mechanism / linkage would help. :?:

All of that said, I run water chokes but I have also run electric chokes. My biggest complaint is that our M30 engines hold quite a bit of water and sometimes it takes too long to warm the water chokes. My second complaint about water chokes is the additional failure modes possible: leaking hoses, corroded hose connections, and the little bolt that holds them together is easy to break. Running electric is almost too easy and reliable for a coupe; the only concern is a blown fuse and we all know that will never happen, right? :roll:

Ed Giguere

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies

Seems it is just an issue with my butterflies getting gummy. I thought perhaps it had to do with the thermostat not activating or something. Thanks again!

Cheers,
Ed

jmackro

Reaction score
Manual choke as alternative to water or electric

Just to throw out another idea, Weber 32/36's are also available with mechanical - ie. cable operated - chokes. I got my set from Pierce Manifold in Gilroy, Ca. a few years ago.

I had been running water-heated chokes, but was fed up with leaks, complexity, etc. Also, my carbs were old, and Pierce said it was cheaper to buy new ones than try to salvage the old.

My choke control is mounted to the lower left of the steering column - yes, I did have to drill a hole in my dash. I chose a location where there was an indentation for some sort of switch/control (though none was installed there on my 1970 2800 US-spec CS).

I love the mechanical choke - it runs smoothly when cold with a slightly increased idle speed. Once the car warms up, I poke in the knob, and know the chokes are fully open.