Can't find my keys

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think if you get the 4 digit code off the ignition lock cylinder they can re-key from that.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have not but I think you can see the code if you remove the bottom steering column cover and look up to the cylinder that the switch is attached to

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i just pulled out my spare ignition switch assembly and you cannot see the code on the cylinder unless you take the cylinder out of the assembly ... which requires a key. i also looked at my spare door locks - no visible code number without disassembly

climbernyc

Reaction score
I found mine on the back of the glovebox lock. Took about 50 pics blindly with my iPhone until I had one legible. I had a flashlight on in the glovebox as the flash on the phone would wash out the code. Had keys for classics make me new keys and they work perfectly- could finally lock the trunk as my only key was a valet!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkView attachment 25961

Last edited:

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's what my door lock looked like. They were dirty and frozen up, but I had the right key so a cleaning and oiling did the trick.
Oh, and I photoshopped the numbers, so don't get a key made and try and drop by late one night, it won't work.

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 10.26.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 10.25.47 PM.png

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
The last picture helped. I found the numbers on both door locks.

Revised:Looks like I also need to replace the ignition switch and cylinder with new keys. As I was looking for the number on the cylinder; I realized the old cylinder is damaged, and the back side of the cylinder (electric plug) backing was so brittle it has disintegrated and springs Poped out. So looks like a new assembly is in order.

Can I order these items directly from the dealer? Or does the forum members recommend a vendor?

Thanks

Last edited:

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
The last picture helped. I found the numbers on both door locks.

Revised:Looks like I also need to replace the ignition switch and cylinder with new keys. As I was looking for the number on the cylinder; I realized the old cylinder is damaged, and the back side of the cylinder (electric plug) backing was so brittle it has disintegrated and springs Poped out. So looks like a new assembly is in order.

Can I order these items directly from the dealer? Or does the forum members recommend a vendor?

Thanks

Honolulu

Reaction score
So.... next time I steal a car by breaking in through the windshield, I'll just ask you guys where to find the key code, and good to go???

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
Ok, so i was able to remove the ignition assembly, "the tube" as a couple of people referred to it. I want to remove the ignition switch and the key cylinder. I have a feeling the internals of the cylinder are damaged (intuition), and since I don't have keys to begin with, do you replace the intire assembly and en up with 2 different set of keys? One that comes with the new ignition, and one for the doors from re cut using the code on the locks.

Thoughts???

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think you need the key to remove the cylinder but not sure. Is there a tiny screw somewhere? You can always rekey door locks to match a new ignition key.

Wladek

Reaction score
I think you need the key to remove the cylinder but not sure. Is there a tiny screw somewhere? You can always rekey door locks to match a new ignition key.
No need of the key
Just push thin rod in hole as shown on photo below, pull lock outside and it will come off. On photo it is shown broken ignition, in your's if it is all ok you will only have two parts (ignition housing & key lock).
p.s. you will probably have some mess with assembly your ignition back, because rear part with cables, little springs & little metal balls left inside.
stacyjka.jpeg

Last edited:

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
No need of the key
Just push thin rod in hole as shown on photo below, pull lock outside and it will come off. On photo it is shown broken ignition, in your's if it is all ok you will only have two parts (ignition housing & key lock).
p.s. you will probably have some mess with assembly your ignition back, because rear part with cables, little springs & little metal balls left inside.
View attachment 26789
I will give that a try today.

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
No need of the key
View attachment 26789
Looks like someone got there before me, and the cylinder possibly turned, as there's nothing to push through the witness hole. And the fact that the witness hole is chipped off.

Attachments

• IMG_0432.JPG
    IMG_0432.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0433.JPG
    IMG_0433.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 104