Car ID?

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sorry if it’s common knowledge, but I’ve never seen this body kit. Looks like George Barris got ahold of it and someone took it away before he went full character car. I can’t tell if it’s a real pic or a rendering. I hope it has shag carpet. I think I love it, but still percolating.

Attachments

• D59B46A7-D224-4198-9AA2-56F5A9570FF6.jpeg
    D59B46A7-D224-4198-9AA2-56F5A9570FF6.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 177

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is the Green Monster from AC Schnitzer. 10.4:1 compression. 290HP. 5spd ZF close ratio transmission. 3.25 diff. 10x15" wheels. Dunlop 245's. 56,667 DM in 1972.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This is the Green Monster from AC Schnitzer. 10.4:1 compression. 290HP. 5spd ZF close ratio transmission. 3.25 diff. 10x15" wheels. Dunlop 245's. 56,667 DM in 1972.

Thank you, sir. I’d heard it discussed but hadn’t seen it. Is this one of the cars you’re looking at for your build? Does it still exist?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you, sir. I’d heard it discussed but hadn’t seen it. Is this one of the cars you’re looking at for your build? Does it still exist?

I’m certainly not interested in it. Crazy design. @Keshav may know if it exists. Schnitzer sold the kit and or the cars. There is a guy on e9forum.de that has one in red.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I’m certainly not interested in it. Crazy design. @Keshav may know if it exists. Schnitzer sold the kit and or the cars. There is a guy on e9forum.de that has one in red.

Ha! I assumed you were out on the design, you just had super specific drivetrain info. But if I had a stable of coupes, it would be fun to replicate this one.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ha! I assumed you were out on the design, you just had super specific drivetrain info. But if I had a stable of coupes, it would be fun to replicate this one.

Gotcha. This car was featured in a CSL battle in the 70’s. I bought the magazine a while back. They have a two page spec matrix on the five cars (GS, Schnitzer, Alpina, Factory, Koepchen).

8B14E7C2-B39C-4C90-B30E-BCF8FBD50AE1.jpeg

83D12576-AB3A-410C-945D-6CC393F323D1.jpeg

CB27C224-C924-4966-998C-3B72327FCE12.jpeg

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Oh my. I think a tribute to the historic car in full green kit is the best bet to make the joker-mouth fenders seem like they’re doing something. Otherwise it’s like painting the corvette summer car a single color. A little outrageous doesn’t work here—you gotta own it.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hmm, trying to figure out where to put the side markers...oh sorry no side markers, cant come into the US, shame. Only my opinion but the original E9 is just a beautiful car, no plastic surgery needed.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hmm, trying to figure out where to put the side markers...oh sorry no side markers, cant come into the US, shame. Only my opinion but the original E9 is just a beautiful car, no plastic surgery needed.

Agree. I do like looking at why period after-market cos & BMW special projects staff did what they did with performance & design at the time. I also respect the creativity & skill of hot-rodders, except 59&60 Caddy shavers, who should be summarily flogged. Let’s say, I’ll give you a salvageable coupe shell, a perfect M88/2 engine, and free access to a body shop. But you can’t make a stock coupe. What would you do? You’ll have to do fender flares to get enough meat to hold that power. What’s the best way to do that? Make another Luigi or go your own way? Like our e-coupe friends, I think it would be a great exercise.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Simple, restore the coupe, by an M car.

Seriously though, I see your point but mods would be subtle. Fender flaring is one thing but turning the fenders into the "Flying Nun" (dating myself), I kinda draw the line there.

BTW with Caddy's, my father had many and I was stuck with washing them every saturday. The thing was as long as a football field to me as a kid. I wished I was a Caddy shaver back then.

mbmw

Reaction score
There was a green one for sale for a while in Munich ,Germany in the 90's. That one was equipped with a M49-2 engine and supposedly street legal. It was also expensive.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Simple, restore the coupe, by an M car.

Seriously though, I see your point but mods would be subtle. Fender flaring is one thing but turning the fenders into the "Flying Nun" (dating myself), I kinda draw the line there.

BTW with Caddy's, my father had many and I was stuck with washing them every saturday. The thing was as long as a football field to me as a kid. I wished I was a Caddy shaver back then.

You are not wrong, amigo!