Car in vancouver on craigslist

d-ace

Reaction score
There is a real reason many Canadians contact me about the restored CSI I am selling. They all tell me up there all the coupes are just a buck of rust due to the weather and salted roads.

Quote Ad
“Looks good, but on closer inspection, there are areas where rust is starting to bubble under the paint”

That’s 10% shown coming through the outside and 90% in the closed compartments, I have seen it over and over for 25 years.

This is the only way to make sure you will have it for decades to come>>
http://shred-master.com/new_page_2.htm
Anyone tells you different they have just never done the work before or just trying to sell you one of their coupes with just a paint over everything paint job. Always start from the bottom up on these coupes most you will never get pass the rocker panels before “rust is starting to bubble under the paint”

Last edited:

gmad

Site Donor
Reaction score
"There is a real reason many Canadians contact me about the restored CSI I am selling. They all tell me up there all the coupes are just a buck of rust due to the weather and salted roads."

D-Ace, like many US residents, you incorrectly assume that we Canadians spend 2 hours each morning shovelling our drives and putting chains on our cars to go off to work in the cheese mines or dope plantations. Our climate here on the West Coast is similar to the climate in other coupe hotbeds, like Seattle, or Portland, and is better than some parts of the bay area. (ok, maybe not). The only salt we use is on our poutine.

All coupes are congenitally rusty. The reason 'a lot of Canadians' are looking at your coupe is more likely the Cdn $, which is above par. Let us know if someone actually buys it.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Gmad:

Better explain poutine. That will end any discussion about Canadian's and why we have cheese mines.

Can't wait until June ends and the monsoons leave the Rockies.

Doug

d-ace

Reaction score
I am missing something here “WHAT” discussion about Canadian's?

Simply, when I have ask one in Toronto and one in Montreal, why I get many calls about my CSI from Canada, basically they both had the same answer
“They all tell me up there all the coupes are just a buck of rust due to the weather and salted roads”.

Not trying to start a conflict with Canadian's but let’s downshift here you’re already at redline in fifth gear on this one.

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
WHere I grew up in Montreal, some Honda Civics had rust through in two years. I'd say a 72 CS would have had holes by 78 at the latest. My 71 240-Z had no frame left by 78 when I bought it not knowing tar could cover rust (How Dumb can you get?).

Vancouver and the interior of BC is fine for unrusted stuff (maybe not E9's though). Some of the most Rust free metal I have seen was at the Yellowknife junkyard. Too cold to rust.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
D-Ace:

Not sure about any other comments - mine was supposed to be what we call humour.

You are correct that some parts of Canada (eastern as in TO and Montreal) mix rust in with the rocks and salt as a starter solution. Vancouver doesn't get much winter but it does get lots of rain which can't be good for a CS can it? It's our version of Seattle. But there are more funky old cars driving around Vancouver and Victoria than any other part of the country so Gmad is correct about the west coast being different (in so many ways).

No need to go into the rest of Canada in detail but I bought a car from a dry climate for a reason - assuming Los Gatos, CA qualifies as dry.

Doug