Carb issue- Gas Gushing

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Took MissE for a quick spin today. Running rough then stalled out half block from house. Took off air filter and filled with gas. Soaked up gas and tried to start. It started but gas was shooting out of Zeinith carb. Got back home, safe, and found this plug had blown out. Air filter filled with gas and you can see the spray of gas when car runs without the plug in
Questions.
1. Can I just glue this plug in and fix the issue?
2. Proably should not have done this but it is very hot and lots of gas fumes so I blame that. I put the plug back in and I am thinking if the advice is to glue it I sould take the plug out and out a light coat of JB Weld on sides and then cover the top. Any advise on how to get the plug back out

ps Thank Got this happened close to house and no fire!

Attachments

• IMG_6893.jpeg
    IMG_6893.jpeg
    307.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_6889.jpeg
    IMG_6889.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_6888.jpeg
    IMG_6888.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 77
  • delete.png
    delete.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the carb, would you need access to whatever is behind the plug?

If not there are some pretty good epoxy that could bond that plug in for good.

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Putting plug back in solved the issue but a tiny bit of gas is seeping out around plug. My questions are:

1- Should I try to get the plug out, to put back in with JB weld around it, then on top of it. If so, how do I get the plug back out?
OR
2- Do I just cover plug with JB weld and hope it does not blow again?

Is this blowing a bigger issue? I sure do not want this to happen when I am on the road.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would score the side of the plug with pliers or something, put JB lightly on sides and more on top. Or find a used top cover for your carb, I had one and just gave it away unfortunately.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Along with Chris’s suggestions you could pull the top and jb weld it from below as well

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Took MissE for a quick spin today. Running rough then stalled out half block from house. Took off air filter and filled with gas. Soaked up gas and tried to start. It started but gas was shooting out of Zeinith carb. Got back home, safe, and found this plug had blown out. Air filter filled with gas and you can see the spray of gas when car runs without the plug in
Questions.
1. Can I just glue this plug in and fix the issue?
2. Proably should not have done this but it is very hot and lots of gas fumes so I blame that. I put the plug back in and I am thinking if the advice is to glue it I sould take the plug out and out a light coat of JB Weld on sides and then cover the top. Any advise on how to get the plug back out

ps Thank Got this happened close to house and no fire!

i had that exact issue some years ago,
thanks god found the plug close by in the air filter,
I put it back and block it with some hits so it got blocked in its hole
no other product to block it, hole or plug should be conical so this works

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Jesus

Thanks. So no issues since you put it back. I just have to figure how to get it back out

nothing,
all went well,
I have seen your pics, it seems to me that it is still out a bit, (it seems to be not flat with the hole surrounding)
my advice would be to use a bolt same size or less than the plug not to damage the walls, and hit with a small mallet to put the plug 1mm more inside, until flush with surrounding body, and try,
this is fixed by the conical shape

to get back out, the only sound way I see is to remove the carb top and access from behind (unsure if this is possible, I mean I don’t know if there is access to it from behind)

check my threads about carbs for pics of that part dissasembled

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How do I find your Thread? Also how do I know the plug is in the correct way? I just put it in to stop leak, and was not aware of the taper? I am debating between pushing it further in and attemepting to get it out and glueing it in. I was told you cannot get to the plug from the back

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK great to know i I just JB welded a screw driver to it and will see if I can pull it out that way.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
OK great to know i I just JB welded a screw driver to it and will see if I can pull it out that way.

i would not do this, leave it there and just tap it more profound
do not use glue, you do not know where it would go
once you decide to go this way, give it a try, but do not force it
once out, if you can, simply clean it , make sure of side and just tap it inside

pics…

yes, no way to access from behind

711373B3-DDBE-46AB-93D8-1F8A8250EECA.jpeg
2677D915-03F2-42B0-955F-1B2865A65203.jpeg
A6440352-CD0E-4375-A224-2E8E45DC607F.jpeg
57A5D59D-DB8E-4750-A8D7-BC70D897B84C.jpeg

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jesus

Followed you advice and all seems well. Once I get air filter back on I will take for a spin to do real test. With air filter off will take the opportunity to do some engine cleaning.