Carpet Closeups - Let's See Them!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I was just chatting with @skb about carpet options for the CS. We've all seen the threads and debates on options. We have a great thing going with the inspiring interiors picture thread, but the pictures lack carpet detail. If you can, please post some photos of your carpet, where you bought it, what loop you selected, and what color you selected. If you have original carpet, feel free to post photos as well. What is really interesting is to see photos of the carpet that has seen sun, and the carpet that remains untouched by UV death rays.

This is not a technical thread, just photos and descriptions. For more on the subject check this out:

To get the ball rolling, here are two examples of green carpet. I believe that the first is due to strange fading behavior with 1974 brown/tan carpet, and the second may be aftermarket:

Untitled.jpg

1972_bmw_3-0_csl_series_2_15547737074421f8ecf90c9aIMG_0285.jpg

Last edited:

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I was just chatting with @skb about carpet options for the CS. We've all seen the threads and debates on options. We have a great thing going with the inspiring interiors picture thread, but the pictures lack carpet detail. If you can, please post some photos of your carpet, where you bought it, what loop you selected, and what color you selected. If you have original carpet, feel free to post photos as well. What is really interesting is to see photos of the carpet that has seen sun, and the carpet that remains untouched by UV death rays.

This is not a technical thread, just photos and descriptions. For more on the subject check this out:

To get the ball rolling, here are two examples of green carpet. I believe that the first is due to strange fading behavior with 1974 brown/tan carpet, and the second may be aftermarket:

View attachment 77856

View attachment 77858

That’s from the Baikal Blue Csl....... whatever happened to the carpet color!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
That’s from the Baikal Blue Csl....... whatever happened to the carpet color!

It is indeed. I commented on it in the FS thread also. Honestly, the CSL looks like factory carpet also. I think that there is some carpet that gets very faded from the sun, and the CSL got lots of it. If you look at the fading in the trunk of the CSL, there is a distinct line of fading on the trunk floor. I suspect that it is from having the trunk open in the sun, perhaps at car shows. Also, the first pic looks quite dark due to shadows. The parcel tray of the first car is a close match to the CSL green. I just didn't post because they aren't my photos to share in full. Hence the cropped photo above to avoid "fingerprinting" of the car.

The blue carpet tends to turn light purple, so it seems that the phenomenon isn't limited to tan carpet. Everybody knows that sun fades interiors but I've never seen such a drastic change. Perhaps my theory is incorrect and green carpet did exist, but it isn't in the brochure.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The parts books list the following carpet colors as original:

grey-black
brown mixed
navy blue-grey
sandbeige (a gold-brown in my terminology)
grey
black (CSL only)
medium grey

Velour was also available in (not in US):
navy blue
red-black
anthracite

MY 1974 rear parcel shelf:
black-grey
brown mixed
navy blue-grey
sandbeige
grey

It‘s hard to tell but it appears only the carbed CSL got the thin black Perlon carpet? It has a unique part number only.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It‘s hard to tell but it appears only the carbed CSL got the thin black Perlon carpet

AFAIK, All non citypack Csl’s had the light Perlon carpets and all the Bats too, not only the carb cars. Also the thicker carpet was an option for the lightweights if a customer so wanted.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very nice Steve! Any noticeable fading on the tunnel carpet next to the NOS carpet?

Alice Couper

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Does anyone have a carpet I can borrow as a template for my 1970 2800CS? My carpet was lost when Al Larson took it out of my car when prepping it for paint in 2005 in Vancouver. (He apparently made several coupe carpets using it but I never got it back, like many things Al handled.)

In any case, I'm purchasing material at Veteran Co and will have a new carpet made. If anyone has a carpet I can borrow, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Frankie123

Site Donor
Reaction score
The parts books list the following carpet colors as original:

grey-black
brown mixed
navy blue-grey
sandbeige (a gold-brown in my terminology)
grey
black (CSL only)
medium grey

Velour was also available in (not in US):
navy blue
red-black
anthracite

MY 1974 rear parcel shelf:
black-grey
brown mixed
navy blue-grey
sandbeige
grey

So Chris just to clarify is velour considered the “upgrade” list?

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Up till very recently, I thought Kokos mats were a US product. I bought a set for my Pagode in the US!
But not too long ago, @Gerrit offered a set of original BMW kokos mats, the best I’ve seen. The ones you see in @deQuincey car.
Of course the original BMW ones are long gone NLA. Lots of members have the available type in their cars in various color combinations.

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had them in Porsche 356 but just wondering about the originality of them in E9. But as
Up till very recently, I thought Kokos mats were a US product.

yes me too. I bought a set for my old Porsche 356 10 years ago and had to ship them over to the UK from the US…cost a fortune because they weighed so much :)