Carpet question

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am working on the carpet for my car, a 1972

I am trying to use OEM carpet, I have collected pieces from several sources, I need to patch and make a few parts but I think it will work out

My question, if you look at the attached photo, this is the right side of the car, the left of the photo is forward
The rear floor carpet is placed, the outboard rear, and the piece along the seat rail
The aft side piece is bound so that is the original shape, it stops along a vertical line at the back of the seat rail

My question, there is an area that is not covered in front of the side piece, below that aft portion of the side rail piece, is there another piece that should cover that? Vinyl or carpet?

Thanks

Attachments

• carpet gap outbrd under front seat.jpg
    carpet gap outbrd under front seat.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 166

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
In my car there were pieces of vinyl glued to the seat console sides and front corners. I however am not sure if this was original.

Attachments

• IMG-20120225-00135.jpg
    IMG-20120225-00135.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 135

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
The carpet does not go ontop under the seat rail. ( the gromment in the carpet for the seat adjustment lever needs to align with the lever).

Key Biscayne-20150404-00655.jpg

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks, I can see how the carpet fits, and I think this answers my question, there is a piece of vinyl that covers the entire inside, a sperate piece of vinyl for the on on the outside, that one is still in my car, thanks

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
This help?

DfxTmo1L4SrqkXqXU1FiMF71tQthvz7-9H6p5rPZQpkp4Srw2AznRd3BvjrIX5TX1eEKoXxzF5Yd1kGRIXWm1Q0xXe7pS2efTs4oJHLJHfNqKuik_2KvbUcP2-2m1zs0xV6izSQU5R8uhkGXBibaZj2Tj2H3nRb0ZwRyQoPA7SoSUu_KMPX19BBXOb85D1GC79ULm3E0HV9i-PRwIXIPVOP2pJdn45rx3eNYN9HuBWJQ_1Z1-PZ2rFYvvIGWpHBmVySH2exj8U-G27EVHbXEGmTHGoFCtIPqgo7i6T7g3Pt9sjdqU-VU9SWkQlacJq84rycc65U-QIP7foGBKsOGDMThEQiiCFtCnSKZFRx-59pLyBg_wwhJNPlHliGiCJ8YpDiDwiiTx4RdNWpjwaVZcyYJjg6KpbbRfkT8WS4-pe0PCHGVhm2Tph6JOA8YIlyJ9trhp7FdbHY9jSJuVKe3e7x7-NVNJjEVh02oCn_zJZtVtPqYxgfQZ0lheJv4C6qqARSyDvL8ZzGruyg7cupNLluGpqCoxL3XeUQ-ItTlnZ7oiVXtsYhp1HoMhxcjCyFbpCdRPAWerueUJYoRUTaKy8hlzGWO-pBZe-4HqDlyS6k9vpCFpjnPDnL9fMZ7MrEE3L5E5ARRo8zdr6dc1-DtO6zk1Z0sr78=w586-h781-no
Yes, thanks, but doesn't quite show the area, the piece of vinyl on the outboard seat support is missing in mine, maybe it is around
If you have a photo of the aft side area, if you were in the back seat area, near the floor, looking outboard at the area under the rear of the outboard seat support

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am also replacing my carpet 1973 and purchased a carpet kit from a source, attached are the instructions for installing each piece. On the vertical piece that is glued to the rear seat bulkhead there is a piece of vinyl runs across the top of the bulkhead and glues around the aft part down the vertical wall. I have both the new kit and a complete set of the carpet I removed - if you need any photos I can provide.

Attachments

• Carpet Kit.pdf
    483.3 KB · Views: 181

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am also replacing my carpet 1973 and purchased a carpet kit from a source, attached are the instructions for installing each piece. On the vertical piece that is glued to the rear seat bulkhead there is a piece of vinyl runs across the top of the bulkhead and glues around the aft part down the vertical wall. I have both the new kit and a complete set of the carpet I removed - if you need any photos I can provide.
thanks pickman, the area I am asking about is where I have drawn the arrow

I have what I think are original parts for the piece circled, it is glued to the outer sill next to the back seat floor
It ends at the forward edge with a vertical termination
The area just in front of that piece doesn't seem to be covered with anything
The vinyl parts that wrap the seat support don't seem to cover this area
But I will just make the carpet part circled a little longer

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Attached are a couple of photos of the area under the passenger seat tomorrow I will set in the #4 parts and photo so you can see how these work. I did replace my vinyl as shown already a bit scuffed up been in and out so many times.

Attachments

• Rear Seat bulkhead carpet with vinyl.pdf
    140 KB · Views: 120
  • Under seat & rear seat.pdf
    253.4 KB · Views: 139

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Attached are photos of the passenger side rial #3 and driver side#4. The passenger side is e=set in place -hope this helps?

Attachments

• #4 and #3 carpet pieces.pdf
    308.2 KB · Views: 139

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Attached are photos of the passenger side rial #3 and driver side#4. The passenger side is e=set in place -hope this helps?
Thanks, Pickman! that was what I was looking for, the aft side part does have a tab on it that goes under the seat support
Thanks

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Might this pic help....
View attachment 68488
sort of, but they are not laid out in the right locations
Is this the set you are using?
What are the triangular parts, far left and right about 1/2 vertical?
And the small part upper left, round top with a notch out of it?
Interesting they give you a piece for the rear shelf
And it looks like that piece I have been asking about, near the bottom, far left and right, just inside the outer frame covers, don't have the tab under the support

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mark,
Im not using this set, I saw it for sale on eBay and thought it might help in identifying the missing piece.
Here’s another schematic from KHM who are about the best for classic cars in Germany.
For copyright reasons, they have distorted the pic somewhat
33F3AE1B-1EF9-4913-B69C-EE4B38564179.jpeg
33F3AE1B-1EF9-4913-B69C-EE4B38564179.jpeg