Cars and watches ?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Spoiler- My friend was a LERP in Vietnam, they were issued Rolex watches, after a couple dunks in the water they stopped working- on rotation they purchased digital Timex watches, they always worked-still has his... Sorry Ramsey

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've got my father's chronometer. It's a medical model he got at graduation in 1951. It needs a CLA and a new strap. It got those scratches when he was working
on his Jaguar XK120 or Allard J2X.

MedicoCompax-Universal-Geneve-Medical-Watch.jpg

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Beautiful watches...

The only one I could add with any relevance is one I got from a guy along with many boxes of BMW memorabilia. It’s a Motorsport Edition for the M1.

6884E530-A16D-4EA8-94EA-B6BD67859CA2.jpeg

Goodness knows, I'll never be in able to afford the M1... but, hey, I got the watch :)

Ed

Last edited:

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Outstanding watch! Tell more about those boxes!

Probably four big tote boxes full of old Roundel magazines (many early ones in the small, white binders), some small Alpina and Heidegger things, shift knob, key chains, many odds and ends. He was from the Virginia area, apparently a BMWCCA Chapter president, or leader. I came by them through a random post on 2002FAQ a couple of years ago.

Lorenzo started a thread many years ago talking about memorabilia..now 13 pages long! I posted at the bottom of page 10.

Lorenzo also shows one of these M1 watches...just a small item in what must be a warehouse of memorabilia.

Ed

...now back to our regularly scheduled program of Cars and Watches :)

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Spoiler- My friend was a LERP in Vietnam, they were issued Rolex watches, after a couple dunks in the water they stopped working- on rotation they purchased digital Timex watches, they always worked-still has his... Sorry Ramsey

Pronounced Lurp as in slurp but spelled LRRP?
Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tag Heuer hasn't had nearly enough love on this thread so here's my Carerra. I try to be just like the guys in Ford v. Ferrari and wear it while up to my elbows in grease or coolant (yes, my car does have some of both of those things:) It's actually true because I usually work on my car on light afternoons at work, so I'm in my nice clothes and forget to take the watch off. She's held up pretty well considering...

IMG_3094.jpg

Steven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Tag Heuer hasn't had nearly enough love on this thread so here's my Carerra. I try to be just like the guys in Ford v. Ferrari and wear it while up to my elbows in grease or coolant (yes, my car does have some of both of those things:) It's actually true because I usually work on my car on light afternoons at work, so I'm in my nice clothes and forget to take the watch off. She's held up pretty well considering...

View attachment 100026
Classic and beautiful!

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
They're basically little motors on your wrist! Super fun but the values are getting nutty. Used to be able to get into something for grand or under. It's getting harder now. There are still some OK deals depending on the brands...

I need a vintage watch game!

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Couple more that I wear a lot while driving or traveling. The Heuer is the "Viceroy" 1163V reference from the early 70's. Great story about the marketing add behind them. You could buy them for $88 if you sent payment with 10 empty packs of Viceroy cigarettes. Normally the watch was $200. It launched the Heuer name into the mainstream US market in a big way. The Zenith is a A277 from 1969-70. It's said there were a 1000 made but they rarely turn up anymore.
20180401_080248.jpg
IMG_20170629_101012_149.jpg